Sunday, August 19, 2007

Woah is me...Special Guest Posting

Hi everybody, Debbie here with Jessie typing for me. I woke up this morning all excited that I could possibly go home. The doctor said yesterday that as long as I did not have a temp for 24 hours and my WBC came up to 3.5, I could go home ignoring the fact that I had this nasty cellulitis (inflammation of the skin caused by infection) cooking in my right arm from a needle stick. So I patiently waited for the doctor to make his daily rounds – which did not occur until this afternoon. I said, “Here I am, my counts are good and I’m ready to go home.” He took one look at my arm and gasped, “You can’t go home with an arm looking like that! We need to get infectious disease in here and you need a central line put back in so that we can administer IV antibiotics for a week!” (vancomycin). Mind you, I’ve been showing everybody this arm for the last few days and no one seemed too upset by it. I’ve been keeping warm compresses on it, but must admit it was getting pretty painful and I can no longer bend my arm. Like the mature, medical professional that I am, I started to cry. “I wanna go home! Why can’t I go home on vancomycin by mouth?” The doctor said for an infection such as this IV antibiotics are the only thing to do the trick. So instead of moving forward, I feel like I’ve taken 20 steps back. They are going to place a pic line in my upper arm tomorrow, which is a long-term central line. Lo and behold, after all this wonderful news, the nurse takes my temperature and my fever is back. So my goose is cooked and I’m here until at least Tuesday.

Jessie’s been here with me this afternoon and spoiled me with a pedicure and even snuggled with me when I got a little weepy. I am much better now because I agree my arm looks like it could soon fall off. This is where I probably need to be for now. With all the platelets and IV sticks I’ve had these last three months, my veins are tired. The pic line would provide access for lab draws and antibiotics as I need them so it seems like a good move.

Thank you so much for your funny and caring blogs. They always make me smile and realize how blessed I am to have every one of you in my life. I hope everything is well with all of you and your families. Good luck to the college freshmen, Laura, Meredith, Caroline, and Patrick, such wonderful times await you. I’ll be thinking of you during the next few weeks as you head off to school.

I guess I should look on the bright side. Now that they’ve stopped the chemo, I think a night at the Mainland is in order, with a nice Cosmo. Hope to talk to you all soon.

Love,

Debbie

P.S. Also, good luck to the moms and dads whose kids are off to college. It is such an emotional time. I cried the whole way home from James Madison after dropping Jessie off. I could see her doing cartwheels in my rearview mirror as I drove off (somewhat true story)…I’ll be thinking of you parents too…

10 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well helloooo Debbie. Good to hear from you. Sorry to hear you are still not feeling great. Adam had cellulitis when he was in the service. He said it was very painful. I hope the antibiotics take it away soon.
Ethan's birthday party was today. It was really nice. If only I knew how to send pictures to you I would bore you too with all the pictures I take of him. Anyway, he was adorable the whole day. I hope you feel better soon.Keep us posted.

8/19/2007 6:55 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Deb, Deb, Deb - crying sounds like the only appropriate professional response to me! glad Jesse was there to comfort you. Sending cool, soothing, healing vibes your arms way. Took Mosey camping this weekend. Just got back. Yeah, we need grandchildren. I took 87 pictures, mostly of him. It's just not right that a dog should be so spoiled. He even has his own life vest for kayaking. He is cute, tho'. Hope you're feeling real better real soon and back home where you belong. Love, Mussie

8/19/2007 8:23 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well, i certainly would be crying also if i were you, and even thou im not you, i have been crying lately.. don't know if its the "jones" from the birth control pill, or the fact my "baby "is going away (only 4 hrs away)anyway,, back on the hormones, and feeling stronger.
now, this cellulitis is bad stuff. when mark got it last spring, they kept him in the hospital for a good 5 days(sorry) with the vanco also i think.. but , ya gotta do what cha gotta do, i guess.
So sorry you have to go thru this also now. will step up the good words and prayers.. love to all of you.. mdf

8/19/2007 9:52 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well that stinks! I thought this visit to the hospital would be a short one. At least you have great company while you're there! Thanks for the recent blogs. You've been posting often so we'e up to date on what's going on. I hope your counts come up, your temp goes down, and your arm heals quickly.
Love,
Lisa

8/20/2007 9:18 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dear Debbie,
Darn it darn it darn it! I'm about to cry too.. that's not fair... Hope you are feeling better today,.... and all the numbers are going up and down in the appropriate manner...

I'm off to Ocean City for the night with Sam and a buddy.... will check back tomorrow and pray for better news.....

Lots of love, Visitor Alison

8/20/2007 10:22 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh what a bummer - you sounded so excited to be coming home - don't worry - they will pump you with antibotics and you will make it home for that dinner at the Mainland. Ali goes back to school this Saturday - and I know what you mean - about doing cartwheels - she is so excited to start her second year - life goes on - will miss her dearly - she is just a joy to be with. Saw Matt and Justin yesterday with their wives for lunch and we had a great time. Keep that chin up and enjoy that cosmo when you get home. Think of you daily. Love Shelly

8/20/2007 4:51 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dear Deb,

I'm so glad you were able to spend time w/ Jess. Hoping everything went well w/ the picc today, and you're able to come home tomorrow. You are never far from my thoughts. Bob sends his best. We love you, Mo

8/20/2007 9:02 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh, Deb... I was so much hoping that you would get to go home.
Have been thinking of you, of course, and we've all been disappointed that you needed to miss the Mainland last week.
Some setbacks here, but pretty insignificant, relatively speaking.
Hope to see you outta there very soon, and dumping down the Cosmos two-at-a-time.
Liz

8/20/2007 10:48 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Deb...so sorry to hear about the setbacks, so frustrating! But you are right, in the long run the pic will help with a few of the uncomfortables...always thinking of you love, Bren

8/21/2007 8:29 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Debbie:

Boy do I love hearing your voice. Funny how when I read your words I hear you and Joe when Joe authors the post. Shame on me for missing you last blog. I never miss a new one.

Thank heavens for Jessie being able to come in and pamper you when you needed it most.

Meredith sends hugs as I am not sure that cartwheels are what she'll be doing but she is totally thrilled with her roommate and I think that is half the battle. Tomorrow morning we head into St. Louis for our first college drop off. It should be interesting. I am trying to convince myself it isn't far but then I go back to "it'll never be the same" mode. :( You know as well as anyone that she is something special and now I have to grow up and be a full-time Mom now that she won't be there to pick up the slack. Mary Foley "Good Luck" to you as well!

Your arm must hurt like heck! I could just feel in when you described it. What is up with you having all these obscure things happen to you?

Jessie ~ my Light the Night donations are coming in. Yippee!

Love to all the Teklits! Miss you to pieces! Debbie I am putting you in our prayer book at the High School today. COD Eileen

8/21/2007 9:07 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home