Tuesday, July 31, 2007

July 31st Update

Dear Fods,

Thank you for keeping in touch with us and for all of your help with our travels to HUP. Since our last post, Jess and the kids stayed the week at the shore with friends and came up to visit us in Lansdale for the weekend. Debbie's counts had improved by that time and she was able to enjoy everyone and the visit was very nice. Christian is just coming to the age where he can enjoy the remote controlled speed boat that we have for the creek and we had lots of fun seeing who could steer the boat the straightest.

Mary and Ron were able to visit the shore as Jess left and the George, Carol and Gert came in for the remainder of the week. Mike and Laurie went down for the weekend so the place got some use in the past few weeks -- which is good. We hope to go down for this weekend for a little relaxation and recuperation.

Debbie started the third round of her treatments last Thursday and her reactions are now fairly predictable. She did OK on Thursday and Friday, the Home Infusion folks came out on the weekend and she gradually become more tired and nauseous over the weekend. She had a bad visit at HUP today for Day 6 and needed IV fluids and zofran. She is finally finished with this round tomorrow. Dr. Porter said that they will not need a BMB for this round because it will not change the course of treatment. Debbie is technically "out of remission" now, but we must proceed ahead for as long as she can tolerate this treatment. It is not easy for her. The vidaza shots give her huge lumps on her arms and abdomen -- and we cannot even give the shots to her legs anymore. The shots really wear Debbie down.

Thanks to Fods Eileen, Marian, Ron and Pam for taking Debbie down to HUP for this round of treatments. She enjoys your company and it makes it very much easier on me -- so thank you for that.

Debbie sends her love to all.

9 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Deb...I got your message from today. Sounds fine--
I hope hope hope you recover quickly from this round.
Think of you so often.
Joe, thanks so much for the updates.

Lizz

7/31/2007 9:46 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Guys,
Thanks for the update. Wave me over on the beach this weekend if you're up for a visit. Hope to see you soon.

Betty

7/31/2007 9:58 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

How many treatments are there? I sure hope you don't get all those lumps again this time.. and im a little confused about the "technically out of remission" is this somethng that is sort of planned with this experimental drug? do they want your body to hit an all time low, then kick in and beat the hell out of the leukemia?
well, i'll be like my mother.. polyanna.. and tell you to have a wonderful weekend, ,ignore the nausea if you can honey, and get some much needed rest and ocean air! My love and prayers go your way..mdf

8/01/2007 1:44 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

never mnd, i googled vidaza shots and not only learned alot about them , i saw different "chats" from people who take it, and were very positve about the results of it.. plus,, i saw your blog site there!! mdf

8/01/2007 2:03 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dear Deb and Joe and famiy;
You are all on my mine.
I wish to thank your friends and Pam,for helping you out. I wish I lived closer so I could help out in some way.
Thanks to Joe and your family for doing what they are doing.
There is a lot of love going around,I could feel it.
I finally got back into the
swing of things in June Today was
my class in art painting, at the
Senior Center. I go there 3 x a
a week have a full course healthy meal. Even though I lost too much weight. My appetite has finally come back. I look like my sister Lindy and that scares me.I do use the treadmill at the SC to strengthen my legs and make me stronger.
Thanks for listening. I love you all.
May God Keep you all safe.
BIG HUGS
Your Aunt Angie

8/02/2007 4:28 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Debbie,
So sorry to hear you are still suffering so much... I think of you all the time and send my positive vibes your way.. still find myself lighting any type of light and singing this little light of mine....

Thinking of you...
Lots of love Visitor Alison

8/03/2007 12:18 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Debbie: I feel so bad you are not feeling any better and it looks like the treatment is taking a toll - don't give up -we all know you can do this. Hopefully you can get down the shore for the beautiful weekend. Enjoy every minute. Love Shelly

8/03/2007 1:01 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Debbie, i loved, loved , loved talking with you.. over the phone you sound wonderful, no one would ever expect any illness, except for an occasional yawn,, and usually when you talk , you hardly come up for any air!! Sorry about the way y ou lost the weight.but im sure you look fantastic.. thin, tan, with that shiek hairdo.. i just look frumpy and dyky with my short hair (no offense, again!),
Things are fine here,, tim just got home from another week at camp.. next week will be more fun cause mark will be there also..patrick and mikey's bday's are coming up.. except this is patrick's 18th! so far i've heard plans on buying lotto tickets. to cigars, to playboys to absolutely nothing.ha.. i think he just likes the idea of being this age finally! Can you believe it!
well, take care.. it was so fun talking with you.. made my day/ heck, week! Give my best to your men.. and i'll continue the prayers.. love..mdf.

8/03/2007 5:09 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Cousin:

Back from our vacation. It wasn't Jersey! We made due and as you might expect Brendan was in the ocean as much as possible. Puerto Vallarta is not known for it's beaches and that I can confirm. The water was really murky but it was warmer than Ocean City.

It's hard to find a vacation to please 5 people. Colin would rather be on a lake fishing. Mere at the pool and of course Bee in the surf...

I am so thrilled to hear that you are getting to enjoy the shore more this year! Can you believe how far you have come? I am thrilled! I have to get up there to visit. I am going to be in Baltimore in late August for my annual needlepoint soujourn. The annual seminar is in Baltimore and it is a time for me and my friend from Dallas to come together. I do have a free day and thought if I didn't do something silly like run up to Lansdale I could at least get together with Jessie. I will let you know once I get the laundry done from this trip!

Miss you a bunch...I will give you a call! COD Eileen

8/06/2007 11:48 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home