Tuesday, October 14, 2008

What can go wrong did! And then it did again!

Dear Fods,

This has not been a good two days for Debbie. For the typical, unexplained reasons, she continues to spike high temperatures, erratic BP, rigors, vomitting and she has taken on 30 - 35 pounds of water weight. The latter is caused by the high volume fluids that they running into her to control the BP. There was another ICU scare yesterday. Mike was here and he did an excellent job of keeping everyone calm. The nurses and Cava commented favorably about him. He called me at the office and I left @ 12:30. Debbie had been given fenergin and she was picking birds out of the sky and talking incoherently before I got there. Thereafter, she was just loopy for the rest of the afternoon. They took her down for a CAT scan to check her abdomen -- which looks like about 8 months -- for any blockages. The results did not show any blockages but did show an enlarged spleen, which is most likely due to the fluids. Also her liver enzymes are out of wack.

Debbie's enlarged abdomen is very painful and they gave her a fentynol pump to ease the pain. She has been mostly sleeping this afternoon. They did an ultra sound this afternoon to see if there is any pocket of fluid that could be tapped and drained to relief the pressure and pain. Those results are not back yet.

Still no appetite -- has not eaten anything again today, but no one seems terribly concerned.

While you can try to call, unless one of us is in the room, I don't think Debbie can answer or speak on the phone. The pain meds are doing what they are supposed to do and she is mostly out of it. I took off today and will take off tomorrow to tend to her. Hopefully this will get turned around soon.

Debbie sends her love to all.

12 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Deb,

Not sure if you will get this as my blogging is a bit rusty. That's one of the reasons I didn't know you were still in there! But....things never go as planned now do they. Instead of the "calm before the storm" you have always had the "storm before the calm". Your calm is coming honey, hang in there as prayers and positive fever free energy is being sent your way.
The shore is beautiful, a little windy, sweatshirt and sweatpants for a beach trip, don't forget to pack them next trip.
The boys, my family, and Nancy send their love and well wishes to you along with many prayers coming from us all to you and your family that you'll soon be home where we know you will recover much better. Love, Donna K.

10/14/2008 5:31 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Teklits,

Over at Aunt Reen's praying for Debbie and all of you. Debbie, I hope they are keeping you comfortable! Stay strong, we're all here for you!!!

xoxoMEG AND MATTHEW

10/14/2008 7:44 PM  
Blogger Patty Gianfelice said...

Joe, you deserve a big hug.... you are doing such a great job of taking care of Debbie and looking after her and with all of that you take the time to let us know about her status. I want you to know how much I appreciate you for keeping us in the loop. I wish there were somehting that I could do to help... is there anything, anything at all that I can do ? Please know that Debbie is in my thought and prayers always, as are you and your family. Debbie needs to be cut a break, god she has been through so much. I'm hoping and praying that she has a good night and am thankful to know that you will be there tomorrow to look out for her.
Patty

10/14/2008 7:49 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh dear. It's true chizzie chemo time...My poor chizzie.

Hope you're getting some rest tonight, my friend.

Prayers continue from this end of the world. Here's hoping the ultrasound will reveal something that will allow the pressure to be alleviated. Praying that the tide begins turning and that her symptoms begin subsiding soon, too.

God bless you Joe. I'm keeping you both in my heart tonight.

10/14/2008 8:03 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Deb, Joe and Mike,

We are so sorry you are going through this. Please know we love you all and are here for anything you might need.Prayers are in overdrive tonight. Joe thank you for keeping us informed.

Love,
Mo and Bob

10/14/2008 8:14 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Joe...thanks for keeping everyone in the loop. I am SO sorry to hear that Debbie is going through yet another struggle. Hopefully the fentanyl is working to make her comfortable while they figure out what is going on. As always my thoughts & prayers are with all of you!
Love,
Bridget Fonash

10/14/2008 8:21 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hello Debbie and Joe,

I am so sorry to hear that you are
in so much pain. I hope that you turn the corner and start to feel better....I know how much you want to be home with your family. I will continue to keep you in my thoughts and prayers. Debbie you need a break....you are such an incredible lady! You are an inspiration to me.
Joe thank you so much for taking the time to let us know how Debbie is doing. You are a wonderful person. Sending a real big hug your way Debbie...love ya

Chuck,Donna,Wyatt and Mackenzie

10/14/2008 8:25 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dear Deb, we all love you and we're keeping you in our prayers.Joe, Thank you for keeping us informed, If there is anything that Ron or I can do, please let us know. love, Ron and Mary

10/14/2008 8:26 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Mom-Mom,

We love you! I am praying for you none stop and hoping they can alleviate the pain soon. Stay strong and know that we love you soooo much!

<3
Allison and Isabelle

10/14/2008 8:28 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Debbie et al:

Thinking of you all the time. You have made it through so many rocky times, we are cheering for you here in Missouri to get past this bump.

Love you to pieces! COD Eileen and family.

PS...You'll smile at this one. Brendan needed contact solution so he and Dave just left here with Brendan driving. YIKES!

10/14/2008 8:43 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Debs,
All of our love and prayers have been with you the past few days.
I hope each hour finds you more comfortable and that they will soon have the medical issues handled, and with a good plan inplace. Please know you are loved and treasured and that we are all with you in spirit,thoughts and prayers each day. Sleep tight tonite my friend..
Love, Bonnie

May I be a worthy prayer warrior in Your eyes, so Your greatness and power may be revealed and wonderful results follow. May I be there for my dear friend, when she needs my love and prayers..

10/14/2008 8:52 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Debbie,

Boni and I have you in our prayers. I think of you everyday and hope for the day we can be visiting you and Joe at the shore laughing like we did a few weeks ago. You and Joe made the MS150 bike ride so special. Everytime I think of it I smile! You are an inspiration and have touched many lives with your spirit.

Hang on to each other. Hugs to you both.

Lorraine

10/15/2008 8:16 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home