Thursday, May 15, 2008

Surgery's FINALLY Over!

Hi Everybody, thank you for all your prayers and well wishes. I had my sinus surgery yesterday, May 14th. Things went well - I checked in for surgery at 6am and was in the OR by 730. The procedure took over two and a half hours, and was a little more complicated than Dr. Chiu had anticipated. I received platelets during the procedure and am now back on antibiotics. My biggest fear was having my nose packed and fortunately my nose isn't packed, all of the packing is high up in my sinuses. I know it won't be pleasant when it's time to take it out, but I can breathe through my nose. The biggest surprise was I had expected to spend the night in the hospital but they let me go home early yesterday afternoon.

By the time I got home I had gotten chills and the rigors were back. My temp spiked to 104. Jessie (the typist) was up from DC and we all panicked that we needed to return right back to HUP. I was determined to get the fever down, which I did after a few hours. I was bleeding quite a bit yesterday from my nose and mouth, which Dr. Chiu said is normal, but I worried I was bleeding too much. The pain isn’t too bad and I’m much better today. If we can make it through the weekend and get the packing out on Monday with no infection, I’m home free. It has been great having Jessie here, she’s doting on me and I’m living like a princess.

So the plan is to heal up and begin chemotherapy again in another four to six weeks. I’m hoping to get some quality time at the beach with the kids and precious grandbabies. So I hope to heal quickly! I can’t thank you enough for all your prayers and support. I know your prayers are helping me get through all of this. So please keep the prayers coming. Love to all of you.

Debbie

9 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Debbie - so glad you had the surgery and made it through okay. Hope the weekend is good for you and you enjoy Jessie waiting on you hand and foot. Will be thinking of you when you start your chemo again, and hope that goes just as well. Hope the weather starts getting warmer and you get some great time at the shore prior to the chemo starting. Prayers are with you. Love you Shelly

5/15/2008 8:26 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

See, it happened again.. last poster, new blog.. but this is what i was hoping and praying for.. so, so glad that surgery is done with.. why was it more compicated than he thought? will you be awake when they take out the packing.. that should be ....something... well, again. so happy that is over with, that jesse is with you and your on your way to "smelling the roses" again...
I would love to share some of this heat we're having with you if its not nice there.. its 6:30 and 99 degrees.. sorry,,no green action going on here.. the a/c is going full blast.. as i've said before,, heat and men..( well, certain kinds of heat) are not a good mix...
Stay away from things that will make you sneeze and rest.. i'll be checking on updates .. take care,, prayers do continue..love to all..mdf

5/15/2008 9:32 PM  
Blogger Patty Gianfelice said...

Debbie, you continue to be an amazng mircle, you are so very courageous and inspirational. Glad to hear that you are allowing Jessie to dote on you. My prayers continue to be sent your way... love ya,
Patty

5/15/2008 11:06 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Debbie,

See I told you you'd be fine! Your plan to heal up and get to the shore all summer sounds like a good deal! Feel better and if you need anything let me know!

MEG

5/16/2008 12:05 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Debbie

I'm so glad to hear the surgery went well! We pray for you every night at dinner and will continue to. Hoping to get to come visit in July when we are on the East Coast!

Love ya tons! Meredith

5/17/2008 12:17 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dear Debbie,
Thinking of you, so glad the surgery is over,
hope you feel better and can get to the beach.

Lots of love, Visitor Alison

5/17/2008 11:41 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh, Debbie, I am so thankful your surgery went well and that things are on the move! You continue to inspire me! I wish I could be sitting with you and your grandbabies on the shore! What a wonderful time we had there a few years back (7 to be exact this summer). My prayers continue to go out for you! Love to you and all of your family. Love, Cheryl Crone

5/18/2008 8:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Deb,
Glad to read the surgery went well.
I hope to see you on the beach soon.
Take care,
Betty

5/18/2008 9:36 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

So, Deb, or anyone who konws how did the depacking go today? you were in my thoughts and prayers today hoping it went smoothly and pain free, well, as pain free as it could be.. also wondering how you feel now that it is out? anyone know? thanks.. mdf

5/19/2008 8:33 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home