Thursday, October 16, 2008

More Complications

Dear Fods,

Debbie continued to deterioate today and she is taking on fluids even though they stopped giving her fluids. This complication is caused by a new problem called VOD (veno-occlusive disease). I looked this VOD up and it does not look good -- but it does describe Debbie's current condition. It says:

Veno-occlusive disease is a potentially serious liver problem caused by the high dose of chemotherapy. In patients with VOD, the blood vessels that carry blood through the liver become swollen and obstructed. This impairs the liver's ability to remove toxins, drugs and other waste products from the bloodstream. Pressure and fluids build up in the liver, causing swelling and tenderness of the liver. The kidneys may retain excess water and salt, causing fluid to build up in the body and swelling of the legs, arms and abdomen to occur.

In severe cases of VOD, build up of fluid that has leaked into the abdominal cavity may also put pressure on the lungs and impair breathing. Toxins that are not processed out of the blood by the liver may affect how the brain functions and confusion may result.

In order to help Debbie's respiration, they did an abdominal tap and drew 1 liter of fluid from her abdomen. So far today she is incontinent and out of it. While she tries to talk, she cannot speak, or get out of bed. We have a commode in the room but that now is a 2 person job. I have been with her this afternoon, Mike was here in the morning and is on his way back, Jester is coming up from her training in WVA and will cover the evening. We will do a similar rotation tomorrow. On Saturday, I will get Joey and prepare him for his visit with his Mom.

I spoke with Dr. Porter today and he is hopeful that the VOD will reverse itself and we should know that in the next day or so. Debbie is very uncomfortable and her legs, ankles and feet are now swollen as well. Porter also said that the Mylotarg failed and that there are leukemia cells in her blood. At the moment, however, he is most concerned about Debbie's breathing and the VOD. If the latter does not reverse itself soon -- we will need to go onto HUP's Home Hospice, in compliance with Debbie's directives.

Will keep you posted.

Debbie sends her love to all.

16 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dear Joe,
Thank you so much for keeping us all up to date. I am so sorry that you all have to go through another rough time. I have stepped up my prayers and hope Debbie will find some relief soon. Stay strong and hopeful, you have an army behind you.
God Bless and keep you,
Pam Kuntz

10/16/2008 7:32 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

poor deb, and how hard and frustrating it must be for all of you guys to see her so uncomfortable like this...i hate to think of her going thru all of this.. i will pray harder.. wish there was more i could do to help her get out of these woods..love..mdf

10/16/2008 7:33 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi everyone,

Holding Deb and all the T's in our hearts and prayers tonight. Wish we could shoulder this crisis w/ you. Please let me know if there's anything we can do...cooking, transportation etc....anything.

We love you all,
Bob and Mo

10/16/2008 7:34 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dear Deb Joe and all,
Always thinking of you...many many times during the day, everyday.
I do pray that your present condition reverses itself, and soon.
My love and prayers go out to you Debbie.
Again, you are Always in my thoughts.
I will make more frequent visits to the Grotto.
xoxoxoxo
Tessa

10/16/2008 7:47 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh, my poor Chizzie. This is just unreal. I'm still sending you all my love and all my prayers. The candle is lit and I'm looking at my Good Samaritan pic. Yep. Seeping, too.

Praying that tomorrow will be a better day for you and I am keeping you in my heart tonight.

Sending you guys all my love. God bless you all.
Love - Kris

10/16/2008 8:28 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Debbie, Joe & kids,
I am so sorry to hear about Debbie's condition. I can only imagine how hard it must be for all of you to see her like this. You are all in my thoughts & prayers. Please let me know if there is anything I can do, be it nursing care when she gets home or anything else. Take care.
Love,
Bridget

10/16/2008 8:40 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

A word for today...Comfort

When I learn of discouraging news-there is something positive I can do by sending out the silent yet powerful blessing of my prayers. I immediately take action by holding thoughts of love and peace.

I give thanks that inner divine wisdom is guiding those who are making decisions about the welfare of themselves and others.

Through intuitive wisdom there is perfect guidance in every moment for all people, in all situations. Centering our thoughts on God in prayer, we experience God as our comfort, our help in every need.


"Even though I walk through the darkest valley, I fear no evil; for you are with me; your rod and your staff- they comfort me."-Psalm 23:4

10/16/2008 9:09 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Joe, Debbie, Jessie, Joey & Mike,

You are all in my thoughts and prayers. I am so sorry for all you have to be going through all this. I pray that your condition reverses Debbie and you get some relief. If there is anything I can do to help, just let me know.
Jeanne

10/16/2008 10:11 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Luv...Luv...Luv you Deb! et al!

COD Eileen and the family

10/16/2008 11:10 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

All my love,prayers,energy,and mostly...beautiful thoughts of you laughing and being happy and funny in the mts....let these happy memories sustain you through this awful time...and give you the strength we all know is in you ,to endure and conquer....God is with you...you have done it before,and you can do it again....the "armies" energy is behind you, infront of you and all around you! God bless you honey... All my love prayers and hugs Bev

10/16/2008 11:25 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dear Joe
We are keeping all of you in our prayers. It is again an unbelieveable kindness to keep us posted. When there is a need, it doesn't matter how far we are, we would be so very happy to help.
we love you!
Edie

10/16/2008 11:56 PM  
Blogger Patty Gianfelice said...

Joe, thinking of you guys and praying for a good day. May God Bless the Teklits family.
Patty

10/17/2008 8:14 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Prayers and good thoughts being sent your way, Teklits. Hoping beyond all hope that Debbie gets better, I know she can do it again! Debbie I love you!

MEG

10/17/2008 10:40 AM  
Blogger Jan Russell said...

We are all pulling for you Debbie -lots of love and prayers!

10/17/2008 10:51 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thinking, thinking, thinking of you today my Chizzie.

And I just keep coming back to the last time they discharged you and were talking about hospice...that was what, two years ago??? I hope you are feeling more comfortable and that the tide has turned on this thing.

I love you, honey.

10/17/2008 2:07 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Debbie!

Thinking of you and wanted you to know it! Bee and Colin will be playing their hearts out for you tonight on the football field.

Love you to pieces!

COD Eileen :)

10/17/2008 3:55 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home