Thursday, September 27, 2007

Thursday AM Update

Hi Everyone,

Sorry it has been awhile since we've written. Typically there is a lull in the action during our daily visits to HUP but with this admission, that has not been the case. I went in on Sunday afternoon and ended up staying until Tuesday afternoon. I would tag team with my brother Joe and Dad as Mike has been sick since Sunday.

Mom has had terrible fevers this visit, sometimes above 104 degrees. With the onset of the fevers, her blood pressure drops dangerously low (sometimes 80s over 40s) and her heart rate soars to 140 beats per minute, sometimes even higher. As soon as the rigors start we'd take her temp and it would be 98 degrees. Within 10 minutes the temp would be up to 102 and climbing. One of our day nurses had the idea on Tuesday morning to start Ativan as soon as the fever symptoms began. This seems to control the rigors, which have been incredibly intense for mom. Controlling the rigors seems to keep the fever's side affects from getting out of control. The ativan cannot control the fever itself, however, doses of tylenol seem to work temporarily.

Mom's left shoulder began to bother her prior to her admission but with the cellulitis in the right arm, we all kind of forgot about the shoulder until earlier this week. We showed the doctors, nurses, students, and anyone else who would examine her throughout the day. Everyone kind of concluded that Mom's shoulder was bugging her from the rigors and being in bed. Each morning the shoulder pain seemed to worsen to the point yesterday that she could no longer use that arm. Remember the right arm already has very limited mobility. The oncologist team suggested yesterday that it was possible the PIC line had become clotted off, causing the swelling and pain and possibly an infection. Joey was there with her when they decided to take her down for some vascular imaging. The imaging team noticed right away that there were numerous clots surrounding the line and this could impede the absorption of the medications administered through the PIC. Mom swears that it did not impact the rate of fluids on board - she has now gained 25 pounds since last Wednesday when she was admitted. There is no chance they will back off on the fluids because that is what keeps her blood pressure in a normal range. When they tried to discontinue them over the weekend, mom became light headed and dizzy.

The docs removed the PIC line last night. Mom spiked a fever of 104 around midnight. I still have my fingers crossed that the PIC line caused a great deal of these fevers and they will resolve in a few more days. No definitive answers here on that, however, the blood cultures continue to come back negative, meaning mom is not becoming septic, her immune system is getting stronger each day. Her WBC is up to 3.2 and her ANC is above 1000. Her blood samples also continue to come back negative for any leukemic blasts. No one wants to do a bone marrow or discuss further treatment options until mom can overcome this current storm.

One thing we did learn for certain this week is the results of mom's skin biopsy. As you may recall, we've been referring to those bumps on her legs as 'leukemia bumps.' It turns out that they are benign, and are also not a source of infection for her. The bumps are a sign of Sweets Syndrome . The doctors have definitively concluded that this is what the bumps are. As long as they remain benign, they are entirely harmless. They typically occur in tandem with a form of cancer, most commonly AML - but Sweet's Syndrome itself is pretty rare.

So for now mom has two tiny IVs in her finger and wrist. Neither arm is a candidate for an IV at this point since both are so swollen from the elbow up. There has not been discussion of using another Hickman catheter because mom believes there were some clots involved with that as well. The docs will continue to get creative with IV placement and have switched everything that they can over to oral medication (PO) when possible. Mom has been needing blood nearly every day and platelets every other day. The doctors say this is from the high fevers and that this causes the body to burn through these cells more quickly. This happens particularly fast when the cells in the body are a donor's. They do believe as the fevers resolve mom's need for blood products will too.

Please don't panic when you aren't able to reach mom. With the Dilaudid and Ativan combination, a lot of her time is spent sleeping or in a delirious state. There has been constant interruptions from the different teams monitoring her, as I can attest to, and this continues all night long. The sleep deprivation carries over and has a cumulative affect on her. I've witnessed her fall asleep while talking on the phone. In between fevers, there are glimpses of mom as we all know her, arguing with me about sleeping over, insisting on taking her own showers, offering Joe and I anything in her fridge ("Have some cranberry juice...I saved you a turkey sandwich from lunch, etc.") She is by no means giving up her fight, and continues to be blessed to have the most wonderful and caring people in her life. We are thankful for you and ask you continue to pray that the fevers will resolve so mom can return to Tennis Way very soon.

Love,

Jess

17 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dear Debbie & Jess and all the T's.... I can't believe what you are going through.... why Debbie can't catch a break.... of course the sweet syndrome is rare... isn't very thing about Deb rare.

I think of you all the time, and I'm about to take "Penny" my puppy Australian Shepperd out for a walk I will send all my positive vibes, and prayers your way.

Lots and lots of love, visitor Alison

9/27/2007 12:14 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Jessie,
Thanks again for the update. It breaks my heart to hear your mom is going through this all over again. I know it's hard on the family too.I hope you see lots of improvements this week. You are all in my thoughts.
Betty

9/27/2007 12:23 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dear Deb,

Our prayers to Jesus for your miraculous healing have never stopped. They won't until you are healed of your symtoms and disease. You are an inspiration to us all!

Love, Bob and Kay

9/27/2007 1:37 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I haven't written in awhile but I do read the blogs. It sounds like you have a great team taking good care of you. Praying you can get home and can look out your deck at the leaves changing. I know you love the Fall. Hang in there guys! Jenny

9/27/2007 3:33 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dear Debbie,
Jessie thank you so much for the update. I check several times a day for an update. I am so very sorry to hear that you are in so much pain Debbie. You do not deserve all this hurt and pain. I want you to know I think of you all the time and you are such an inspiration to me. You are so very brave! Please know that I keep you and your very special family in my daily prayers.
I pray that this week will be a better week for you!
Love,
Donna,Chuck and Wyatt

9/27/2007 4:23 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Jess,

Thanks for the updates. I can't believe that now Aunt Debbie has another rare condition! How rare can these things be when they keep happening to her? (Rare reactions to meds, infections, etc.) The strength of your family has really shone during all of this. You guys are always in my prayers!

Lisa

9/27/2007 7:37 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Debbie: Hang in there - I am so sorry you are going through all the pain and suffering you are right now. Keep up the fight. You will win. You are always in my thoughts and prayers. sHELLY

9/27/2007 9:06 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Debbie:

You have rendered me speechless. How do you do it?! You are simply amazing. It looks like the silver lining is that the counts are on the rise so that may be what helps get you through this mess.

Another rare thing for you to come down with. Honestly...you have been tested beyond belief.

All of us send our love and hope that by the end of the weekend it has all been brought under control.

As always you are in our prayers. Love to all. COD Eileen

9/27/2007 10:40 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Debbie,
I have not had a chance to read a post in a while but I am glad that my mom told me that there was a new one. You are so strong. I can not believe all that you have gone through and who can believe another rare thing! I know that you are strong and will be able to pull through all of this and besides we have more games of pick up sticks to play.

College is going well. I had my first college test on Wednesday and I haven't gotten it back so hopefully it went well. My roommate is very nice and we are getting along really well! Thank goodness for a good roommate! I've made a bunch of new friends. You are not even going to believe this. One of my new good friends vacationed in Ocean City 2 times this past summer! I could not believe it. She loved it there as much as I do! I can't wait to go back again.. Well I'll be praying for ya! Luv ya Meredith

9/27/2007 11:04 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dear Mrs. T and Family,
So sorry to hear about all this! It sounds terribly scary, but it sounds like you are all hanging tough and pulling through together! It was so nice to read about the glimmers of 'the usual Mrs. T'. . . definitely brought smiles as we read the blog!! We'll hope for more good news, and in the meantime we'll be sending our thoughts and prayers your way.
Love always,
The Booth Family

9/28/2007 10:46 AM  
Blogger Kris McLay said...

Hi Chizzie-

Have I told you lately that I love you???

Hoping and praying that you had a good night, honey. I am thinking of you morning, noon and night. (Including that 4 am bathroom call!)

I am also envisioning you with two little tiny purple BUTTERFLIES on your fingers for your IV's.

That deal about the PIC line is just frigging unbelievable. I pray that is the cause of these fevers - the fact that your blood cultures are negative and your 'fighting counts' are improving is totally GOOD news. Plus no blast cells! Honey, we are all praying and sending you strength and love...miracles are happening... (remember Mr. Jihad.)

Sweet's Syndrome? I shake my head with this one...my poor Chizzie. Hoping there's some soothing balm that can be used to make you comfy.

And listen to you! Coming out of your "Zonked Zone" just long enough to be the perfect hostess to your guests. That is so YOU!

Well, I guess I better hop for now. I got housework to do - blah. (Mr Hal was in Kansas all week and you know what they say when the cat's away the mice will play...so now I'm scurrying around here getting my chores done - oops!)

Can't leave without a prayer for you, honey.

Pray for others

I welcome every opportunity to deepen my love for family and friends (FOD's!). And one way I can do this is to pray for them.

When someone I know is going through a difficult time, I offer encouraging words or a hug. Whether the person I am reaching out to in love is close at hand or far away, I can embrace them in prayer. As I enfold those I pray for in thoughts of the love of God that unites us. I connect with them on a deep spiritual level.

God's all-providing love is within each and every one I pray for and is blessing them in every needed way.


Pray for one another, so that you may be healed. The prayer of the righteous is powerful and effective. - James 5:16

9/28/2007 11:42 AM  
Blogger Bob and Kim said...

Hello Debbie,Jess and the T-men,
Thanks for the continued updates.
We hope Debbie is improving every day. This is long enough!! We will keep all of you in our prayers
With love,
Bob and Kim

9/28/2007 4:20 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Please know of our prayers from an anonymous group of men here in St. Louis, MO.

I've been reading this blog (more catching up lately) on occasion. It was brought to my attention by Eileen.

9/29/2007 3:37 PM  
Blogger Kris McLay said...

Hey Chiz-

Just checking in to let you know that I love you and I am sending big prayers. Hope you are having a restful, peaceful day with lots of healing going on. I'm sitting in my office looking at the Delacroix print of The Samaritan that Jeff framed and you gave to me for Christmas.(Remember how we saw the original at the Museum and I was so moved by it, I wept? And yes I am seeping as I look at it and think of you!) Anyways honey, I am praying that enlightened individuals will grace your healing path today and lighten your load today and tomorrow and the day after...until your back on Tennis Way.

Had one of our new neighbors over for coffee this morning and get this - she grew up in Randolph, Ohio...maybe 15 miles from Palmyra. She still has family there and goes back to visit fairly often. Talk about small world. I mean, really, what are the odds?

Other than that, I'm just hanging out here and thinking of you.

Prayers up for all the Teklits clan.

K

9/29/2007 6:31 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi, Just can't get you off of my mind. I'm anxious for an update but can only pray no news is good news. Hang in there Debbie. I hope all of the meds are kicking in and you will be well enough to make it to OC while the weather is still nice enough to sit on the beach. I haven't been back myself. I'm so busy with work I can't get away. I don't think I'll make it back to Ocean City until the third week in October.Maybe you'll be well enough to join me. I hope we have a late indian summer. I'm not ready to give into fall yet. I wish you well.
Take care,
Betty

9/29/2007 9:05 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Mrs Teklits,

It was so nice speaking with you yesterday, and of course even with all you are going through you sound great and are the sweetest ever!!! I miss you and can't wait to see you & don't worry we will be getting together ASAP!!!! I'm thinking about you every moment and cant't wait till we can all be together as family!!!

LOVE YOU ALWAYS <3
Alli

9/30/2007 10:30 AM  
Blogger Kris McLay said...

My dear Chiz-

Couldn't let Sunday morning pass without a special prayer and the Daily Word for you and Joe, the KOD's, the ROD's and the FOD's. This is especially for you though -

Protected

My loved ones and I are serene and secure in mind and body.

Whenever I feel a concern rising about a situation in my life or in the lives of the people I love, I shift my focus to the love of God active in all our lives.

God’s love is greater than any circumstance and always available to us.

There may be uncertainty in life at times, but there is never any uncertainty in God’s love. Divine love is an energy that radiates from within my loved ones and me. There is nothing that can separate any one of us from God’s loving, caring presence.

I give thanks that divine love is graciously guiding me and my loved ones in ways of peace and safety. This sacred love inspires us to know when and how to help one another. In God’s love, we are serene and secure in mind and body.


“Those who love me, I will deliver; I will protect those who know my name.”—Psalm 91:14

P.S. Still praying for miracles large and small, and now am adding a prayer for inspiration on the best way to help you guys - Right now all I seem to be able to come up with is Praying and well, seeping... {sniff}

Jess, you know about seeping...

9/30/2007 12:21 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home