Thursday, October 05, 2006

I LOVE MY BED

Hello everyone,

I'm sorry we haven't posted sooner but the last few days have been a whirlwind. We did not get discharged from HUP until 11pm Monday evening. While my dad and I remained calm, mom was quite upset about this, as the hold up was two bags of blood that were ordered at 9am that day. The blood took FOREVER and we kept nagging whoever we could find to get things moving. As the day wore on, mom began to feel sick and achy (they quit giving her meds as they anticipated a discharge sooner than it ended up happening) and mom began to worry about coming home. She feared she may be coming down with a fever, but things held steady and we were able to wheel mom outta there with our trusty tank of oxygen close by.

Tuesday we had visits from the praxair man to set up our own compressor tank for oxygen, and from UPS who delivered some extra nupogen (sp?). Our sweet visiting nurse Kathy came by to go over the discharge instructions and change mom's dressings (in addition to the Hickman, there is a dressing and tube that need daily flushing for mom's gall bladder). Mom was discharged on fifteen different prescription medications which need to be taken at different times throughout the day. She remains on the Fentinol patches (150mcg/hr), Valium, and Dilaudid (prn now) to control her unbelievable back pain.

Wednesday we had to return to HUP for labs. Luckily mom slept in the car as it was a long ride down (1.5 hours). Once we got up to the clinic, they did not have mom's chart or orders handy so mom was parked in the hallway in her wheelchair. Looking at mom, they knew she needed a bed to rest in while we were waiting. Mom did indeed need platelets, so we ended up staying in the clinic from about 1030-300 yesterday. Mom slept through most of the visit, and I bummed around the hospital a bit looking for snacks mom might like to try. We got some great news yesterday - I actually responded to the NP with a WHAT?!?!?!? Mom's WBC has rebounded to 3.5 and her ANC is around 3000. There is no sign of the donor in mom's marrow, however, so we believe this is entirely mom's immune system. She is considered to be in remission.

Mom is VERY tired - we attribute this partially to the narcotics she is on and also the gross sleep deprivation she's encountered over these last nine weeks. She gets discouraged with how weak she is, but she is getting a little stronger each day. Mom is awake about six hours total throughout the day, the rest of the time she is in bed sleeping. She is in a lot of pain from her back - and needs to have an MRI - so too much movement sets the spasms off again. It is a delicate balance between rest and movement as too much rest is not great either. The doctor suggested starting with one trip up and down the stairs a day and a walk out to the mailbox. We've been able to do a walk out to the end of the property and two or three trips on the stairs each day.

We've been forcing mom to eat whatever sounds good to her - which is not much. Typically even after she requests something once she sees it she becomes nauseous again. Mom is very restricted with what is allowed to eat in her post-allogenic transplant diet. No leftovers, no take-out, no raw fruits or veggies, and no bakery items. We're aiming for just 1000 calories a day and I think we're making that. Mom needed to loose a lot of water weight and she has lost about 10 pounds now since Monday. Her feet are still two sizes bigger than normal, but I have seen some signs of ankles this morning! I imagine as she continues to move around she will lose a great deal more and she may begin to feel more comfortable eating. She's just been so full for so long.

Mom really has not been up for talking yet. She and I can't seem to finish even a brief conversation as she does not have the energy. I know this will get better with time. Please do not panic if you have called and have gotten the machine. Everything is OK, but it is going to take some time for mom to recover from the entire ordeal she has been through. Know that she's gotten your messages and will call you when she feels she can. She is so appreciative for everything you have all done to help her get home. I know you all want to help mom when you can, and believe me when I say that we will take you up on your generous offers. Every one of you are special to mom, and I know she looks forward to being able to visit with each of you very soon. My family and I cannot thank you enough for all of your love and support, for sharing your special talents, and for your prayers, cards, blogs, and calls. You all make up the most wonderful caring network and we are just so very grateful for that.

We love you all!

30 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dear Debbie and Family,
So glad you're home, home is the best medicine. Still sounds as if the road is a little rocky but it seems it will soon smooth out. So glad to hear your numbers! If I can help in anyway, please let me know, my number is listed. Don't want to be calling and disturbing your rest, so let me know if I can help.
God Bless,
Pam Kuntz

10/05/2006 1:28 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow!!! :) Hey Gang,
No comments. Mark your calendars. This is a first for me.
Well, I'll start it off today. Deb, Cathy and I are so happy to hear you are home. I sure know the feeling after six months in a hospital bed to be in my own house, my own bed, and particularly my own remote control. (I know thats a guy thing, but there's truely no place like home). In my prayers I zero in on your counts, and once again the good Lord has answered my prayers. Dig deep, and stay strong, so you can work through the pain and sickness. If you need the assistance of a good nurse, I happen to know one intimately, or if you just need to talk when you feel up to it, just call, I am told I listen well. We love you all, and are so glad you are finally making progress.
Artie and Cathy

10/05/2006 1:32 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well I was the first one. I guess I got a little long winded, and those other fods jumped in line. You snooze, you lose. :)

10/05/2006 1:35 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dear Debbie and Family,
All I can say is "Wow"! All sorts of questions are whirling around in my head, but I'll save them for another time.
It must feel so good to be home and the weather has been so beautiful. I can just see you catching a glimpse of your backyard in between naps.
You know how I am about the phone, so I'll wait to hear from you. I miss you and marvel at your strength.
We're headed down to West Virginia this weekend but I check to blog to see how you're doing.
BIG HUG and lots of love,
Susan

Susan

10/05/2006 2:02 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

wow deb...i am so glad to hear you are home...bed must have felt like heaven! thinking about you all the time...love you, bren

10/05/2006 4:42 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks so much, Jessie for your informative blog. As I said before, mom is lucky to have all of you! Give her my love and I hope to talk to her soon. Love,
Cheryl (Crone)

10/05/2006 5:40 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Debbie & Joe,
We are so pleased that you are finally home enjoying the family & the surroundings of your home. Being able to sleep without being prodded / poked/ etc while at the hospital must now seem like a bad dream. Rest well, stay away from cleaning / dusting /etc & gain a pound or two as necesssary; besides losing the fluids that is. Your trip to the hospital on Wednesday can best be described as frightful, & we are amazed at the inefficiency of the HUP staff. Nothing seems to go there as planned or scheduled. We were surprised that you're able to walk the stairs & out to the mailbox; that seems like great progress is being made. We're so pleased that Jessie is with you during this transition week. Take care, & get lots of rest. Don't get too enthused during the upcoming football games this weekend; let Joe do the cheering for you. Love, Mom & Dad

10/05/2006 6:15 PM  
Blogger Kris McLay said...

Hello Family Teklits-

You guys have been busier than one armed paper hangers since arriving home! Ai-yi-yi.

Sounds like a tough slog but there are some good news nuggets in your post for sure! Greatly improved counts, remission status, ankle sightings, outdoor walks and stair mastering...these are all good things.

Wish that back pain would give it a rest though! (No further comment on the HUP situation - this is a family blog after all!)

Know that I love you guys and think about you morning, noon and night. Thanks for keeping us up to date and for taking such good care of our friend. 5 pm prayers continue!

Love you - K

10/05/2006 6:32 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Debbie,

It must be so nice to be home and in your own bed! Just rest and eat and everyday will better!!
And, Jessie, you are so wonderful for being there! And, thank you so much for the blog.
If you need anything at all, just let me know!
Love,
Jeanne

10/05/2006 6:41 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

jess thanks so much for that much needed post. it sure covered everything. keep mending deb. so glad to hear the 'r' word. xokathi

10/05/2006 7:11 PM  
Blogger annapolisirish said...

Dear Debbie, Jessie & all the T's...
WOW as your Mom and another FOD said.. I'm seeping.. when I read the words "she is in remission" I lost it, I'm crying as I type this.

You have no idea, no possible idea how absolutely wonderful that makes me feel right now. Debbie, your are amazing, as is your daughter, your sons & your wonderful hubby.

Answered prayers, thank you god, thank you. We will keep working "on the outside" to ensure you feel better every day...

come on all you FODS... 5pm.. light SOMETHING and pray, sing, dance, wiggle, clap your hands.. rejoice and tell his nibs he's doing a good job, but keep on going!

lots & lots of love,
Visitor alison

10/05/2006 7:35 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yeah!!! You're FINALLY home! I hope you're spending lots of your time in your special bath tub! It must be great to have some peace and quiet, but it must be especially nice to get what you need WHEN YOU NEED IT. HUP is outrageous! I can't believe how slow things move around there!

Jess, I'm so glad you could be there to help your mom through this. Enjoy your time together before you have to go back home and thanks for keeping up posted!

Lisa

10/05/2006 8:30 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Take everyday as it comes and enjoy the family and the small things in life. I think back to my Mom and when she had come home from the hospital. I cherished the small stuff that we did. You can look out at the beginning of Fall and enjoy the warm sun at home. The boys are keeping me busy but I do think of you often and send you my prayers. Jenny

10/05/2006 9:08 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dear Debbie:
How wonderful to hear that you are home!!! So just cuddle up under the quilts and enjoy some tea and love from your family. Will continue to keep all of you in my prayers.
Carolyn Stuart

10/05/2006 9:13 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

... Take it slowly deb.. maybe use thanksgiving as a goal to get your self stronger for! You have been thru so much, and are still going thru the tail end of it (tubes, meds, tiredness, back pain) but with all this "stuff" there certainly is good news also.. home, family, remission!!
I liked the idea beth had of borrowning her wheelchair for a "cruise around the hood..".. that might feel good, wait a few days,,imagine just the drive to and from hup was exciting after so long inside..
Jesse, Joe, Joey, and Mikey,, thank you so much for keeping all of us up to date on something so personal..we all appreciate it.love to all of you.. mdf

10/05/2006 10:50 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Debbie and Family:

So thrilled you are comfy in your own bed. I can't imagine how you managed so long at HUP.

Glad to hear that you have had some good news regarding your blood counts. Wish that the donor response had be something more than what it was. But we will take remission.

All the pills and specifics on the food...thank goodness they let you go home.

Our big news is that Meredith was selected for Homecoming Court. She is being as nonchalant as she can be but admits that she just is happy to have one of the crowns for being in the court.

Aunt Angie and I hit the road Friday for Clarksville. No train though. It will be good to see family and freinds. Mike's l'il brother from the fraternity who is from Brooklyn is coming too. It will be good to see him. It's been a long time. I hope to squeeze in a short trip to Nashville to spend a little time with my college friend Celeste. We will see.

I hope and pray everyday that you get your strength back as we all are going through Debbie withdraw.

Thanks again to Jessie as I was really suffering from no blog for a couple of days. I know it takes time to compose. Thanks heavens you could get away.

Take care and love to all. COD Eileen

10/05/2006 11:14 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Debbie ~
Happy to see the post today and so glad to hear that you are in remission. Rest and stay warm on this rainy day.

Love,
Your Friend Donna

10/06/2006 7:57 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Debbie-
I'm SSOOOOOOOOO glad you are finally home to snuggle in your own bed and watch your own TV, make laps around your own familiar surroundings. The fight isn't over, but I think you might be able to see a little bit of that light at the end of the tunnel now. It is also amazing to hear the "remission" word!!!! The prayers aren't going to stop now though, I'm praying for you still every day for you to get back your strength and begin eating and staying in remission. Get some rest (but not too much)!
Jenn Kelleher

10/06/2006 9:42 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Deb, Prayers going up for a much quicker trip to HUP today (in addition to continual ones for the back pain to take a hike). Not such a nice day to have to go out. Thank goodness Jess can be there with you. You truly are blessed with a wonderful family and a boatload of friends.

Jim and I are really enjoying the puppy. I want to train him as a therapy dog when he's old enough. I think he'll be great. He's so calm and sweet and just makes people smile. And I'm not really a dog person. :-)

Well, my prayers continue and sometimes I ask my patients to pray for you, too. Gives 'em something to do if they can't sleep.

Hope you have a wonderful weekend at home and two glorious HUP-free days. Love, Mussie

10/06/2006 10:15 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ahhh
Being home, surrounding by family and all your favorite stuff is the very best medicine of all. I am sure you will grow stronger each day! We are in the process of moving and we will be kicked to the curb 10/25! The new house won't be finished until end of November. I guess we will be living in a cardboard box for a while. I am hoping that by the time I move you will be up and around and ready for a visit.
Hang in there
Love Jill

10/06/2006 11:33 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Debbie,

You are great!
Hope you feel much better soon.
We love you,

Jen, Andy,&Sean

10/06/2006 1:36 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

!!! Okay,so here is what my sister told me when she got out the hospital after her long stay.. she had no strength at all and that she had learned about an experiment they did with a pro football player,, they had him stay in bed for 24hours, never getting up for anything, and they found out it took him a week to get his muscle strength back.. so think how you must feel after two months,,, so hang in there deb.. hope your trip to hup was good.. love, mdf

10/06/2006 3:59 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

REMISSION,MY GOD, I told you,you are as strong as THE MIGHTY ITALIAN OAK...(there was a bedtime story my dad used to read me re: this oak)..I'll think of it:)...the reason you feel sooooo wasted is because of all the pain killers...when you come down off them, it will be a whole different ballgame (trust me) ,you'll see!! Just continue to relax,be patient,enjoy your wonderful healing surroundings( find out what the heck is wrong with the back)..and BAMMO..SOCKO...STRONGO you'll be ,you'll see (trust me..did I say that already???:) love ya lots ,hugs and prayers:)Bev

10/06/2006 4:15 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Debbie and your great family:
So happy to hear you are home. The recovery is coming along slowly, but at least it is coming. Who doesn't say prayers don't work!!! We are so happy for you. Keep eating as much as you can and get that strength up. Hopefully you will be able to see some of your friends real soon. Have a greatweekend at home. Love Shelly and Gary

10/06/2006 5:04 PM  
Blogger Kris McLay said...

Hi Honey-

Just checking in tonight to say I love ya and that I hope your day went well.

Things are things here. The big news? My vacuum is out of the shop.

That's big, isn't it?

Take care and listen to all the good FOD'ly advice above. Sending you good vibes and continued prayers and of course, all my love.

K

10/06/2006 10:15 PM  
Blogger annapolisirish said...

Hi Debbie,
Hope you are feeling a little bit better today....

thinking of you all the time.

Lots of love visitor alison.

10/07/2006 6:57 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Just a Saturday prayer and big HELLO!! Had my first sleepover with the Mackenzie(my crew had a big,long,late nite)...I did pretty good ,but made the mistake of letting her fall asleep downstairs ,then couldn't get up the stairs carrying her soooo,(what a Gramzie am I) I had to wake her up so she could climb the stairs,so I could put her back to sleep.I guess I 'll get the hang of it ....eventually!!!USH-CA-BIBBLE...I suppose every grandma thinks her Grandbaby is bestest(that's what you told me ,remember Debs??)....it is definitely so,she IS SO ADORABLE!!Thank heaven I taught her steps,now she 's trying to learn itsy-bitsy spider,although I can think of no practical future application for this ..then.. one never knows.Well, I WAS up several times last nite (just checking) so I'm totally done in,early nite for me ,extra drugs,that's for sure..Have a good time watching the games and enjoying everyone around you ..God Bless you all love and hugs XX OO :)Bev

10/07/2006 6:59 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Snap on your couch seat belts and settle in for the big football game with T.O.

10/08/2006 7:55 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Deb,

Just wanted to write and say I'm thinking of you and all your guys. Also wanted to tell you I'm home this week and can help out if you need anything. Don't want to call and bug you, so call me please if there's anything.

Love you all, Mo

10/08/2006 12:18 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

PS Rick,

I'm happy to share the lemon square recipe...I don't have it in my head though. I'll post it later when I have it.

Mo

10/08/2006 12:20 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home