Saturday, June 10, 2006

Start the Prayers Up Again!!

Hello Everyone,

It's me again so excuse the typing and spelling. I hope this finds you all enjoying this beautiful weather and a quiet weekend with your families.
On thurs. afternoon i called down to Penn to get the results of that days lab results. I was sure i would need blood and platelets because of the way i was feeling. Sure enough my labs were all low and they said to come down early Fri. am. A short time later Dr. Porter's secretary called and said that Dr. Porter wanted to see me on friday. Never a good sign, when he wants to see me outside of a scheduled appointment. Of course, I had a sleepless night, but I did figure out what it was he wanted to talk to me about. Unfortunately, my instincts were correct. I recieved blood and platelets and waited for him for an hour and a half. When he came in the room looking quite somber, he said well "You're alright, you're blood is alright at the moment, and I stopped him midsentence and said "It takes three weeks for the cytogenetics to come back on a bone marrow and I bet there are not good." And he said, "You are right." Unforntuately, my chromosomes have flipped back to where they were when they were first diagnosed. So heres the gist of what he said, technically I am still in remission because there is no leukemia in my blood, but it is just a matter of time before the leukemia will reer its ugly head, which is called relapse. Relapse is never good. He will not be able to use my stem cells, not that there are any right now because I am still immunosuppressed (meaning my bone marrow is not functioning up to par yet). So I need a bone marrow transplant and I need it soon. He was able to find two donors which are a 9 out of 10 match. Which is pretty good, but will still be very dangerous. He said I should have a 40 to 50 chance of survival as long as I am in remission and possibly be cured of the leukemia completely if it works. 6-8 weeks in the hospital and a long isolated stay at home. He said I should count on rejectionwhich is a good thing in small amts. because it will kill all the leukemia.If it is alot of rejection, well thats another story. I will need to take anti-rejection drugs and steriods for up to a year, maybe forever. Barry Bonds better watch out! The other option he gave was a mini transplant which is less chemo, they do not completely kill the immune system, but it is not as effective but it is safer. The third option was to do nothing and let nature take its course. I do not think that sounds like an option to me, I'm not quite ready to give up the fight yet. So, once again we are trying to decide what to do but i think i will opt for the mini transplant. Thanks to all the love and support you have shown me, I am OK. I am putting myself in the hands of God and he willl do whats best. Where's the cosmos!!! Remember I was able to see Emma born and Michael graduate Penn State. Unforntuately the family is not quite acting the same. They are very upset. Again, Where are the Martini's!! I have to decide pretty quickly so I can get the donor, (whomever that may be) tested and stem cells harvested. Again I have to have the transplant while i am in remission. Dr. Porter said i can convert back over to leukemia at any time. So please start the prayers, novenas, and rosaries again. I hate to give you bad news, i dont want any of you to worry about me because i really am ok, because of your love. I will write again as soon as i know any more about the situation. I am still waiting for my numbers to return to normal, but i am feeling pretty well. Hoping to get Jessie, Walid, and the kids to the shore sometime soon and spend QT with the family. A trip to Italy would be nice too. And a nice dinner with Brad Pitt would be swell too, but the word on the street is that he is pretty tied up as well. I love love love you all and will be posting again soon.


Love you all,
Debbie

17 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Debbie & Joe,
Thanks for the call today, it was nice hearing your voices in spite of "Dr. Bad News" being that again. We sure wish he'd join the team as we feel that a miracle had occurred even though he can't get himself to believe that. We hope & pray that we prove him wrong again. We can't say that we all that pleased with the options he's forwarded, but perhaps there are options such as hope & prayer options that he can't accept. You can count on us to be diligent in our prayers as we all have been. The 6-8 week stay at the UofP with its "gourmet foods" doesn't sound too enticing, but perhaps Joe can bring down on occasion his egg plant parmesan specialty. I wouldn't offer the Dr. any however!! The both of you remain in our thoughts & prayers. Love Mom & Dad

6/10/2006 9:25 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dearest Debbie;
The news isn't so hot, but you did it before and you can do it again. You will come out on top.
I know you will make the right decision.
Thankyou for the posting, I know it is hard for you.
We are all praying and love you very much.
BIG HUGS
Your Aunt Angie

6/10/2006 11:49 PM  
Blogger Kris McLay said...

Peckers up FOD's!

So glad to talk to you Chizzie and hear you sounding so centered and resolved despite Dr. Porter's most recent update. I look forward to seeing you tomorrow for a bit of lunch and a lot of chit-chat. Until then, I have found another prayer that speaks to me of you.
(Have to hurry and post because Blogger is going down for maintenance in five minutes!) I love you honey. Hugs to Joe and the boys. Virtual hugs to Jess and Walid and the kids.

Kris

Faith

Through faith, my greatest good is revealed to me and accepted by me. Faith is more than a belief; it is a power. Therefore, my faith in God is a powerful tool I use in drawing to me those experiences in which my greatest good is revealed and accepted by me.

What is my greatest good for today? I don't have to know that in advance; I just remain open to whatever my faith in God reveals, and I accept it with a grateful heart. There is truly no limit to the peace, healing, wisdom, and prosperity that my faith alerts me to expect and encourages me to accept.

Living a faith-centered life, I avoid confusion and stress. I understand that God is blessing me abundantly--far more than what I need to live life fully.

"He said to them, 'Because of your little faith. For truly I tell you, if you have faith the size of a mustard seed, you will say to this mountain, "Move from here to there," and it will move; and nothing will be impossible for you.'"--Matthew 17:20

6/11/2006 8:28 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi, Aunt Debbie. Well this sucks. I'm sorry to hear the new bad news, but at least there have been two matches found. As you and the family weigh your choices, know our thoughts and prayers are with you. However, I think you may be a little confused about the options. The doctor didn't mention anything about cosmos..... I guess that's your own secret weapon! I think time at the shore with family sounds great and hope you can do that soon. We're still rooting for you!

Love,

Lisa

6/11/2006 10:46 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Debbie:

This is not what Joe wanted you to be dealing with while he is gone. Dr. Porter certainly has some timing. But it looks like it is all about timing at this point. Do what you are comfortable with Debbie, and always know that we love you.

Got a goal for you. June 30th, 2007 we will celebrate, Mere's graduation from high school and I imagine her college selection will have been deciced by then, one would hope. Bee will also graduate from 8th grade and we will say good by to the grade school amd he will also have his Confirmation. May will be a crazy time here so we thought we would invite folks out around the 4th which unfortunately will land in the middle of the week. So JUNE 30TH next summer...put it on your 1-yr out calendar. We can even make nonnie cookies and just use red/white and blue sprinkles.

Keep strong! Love to you and the family. COD Eileen :)

6/11/2006 10:55 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dear Debbie, you don't know me, but I've been following your progress since stumbling across your blog site while visiting a relative on the 6th Floor. I think about you often and pray for you. My blood group is AB negative would that help you at all for a match? I know it's a pretty rare blood group I would be more than willing to help you in anyway I can. I will keep praying for you. Keep up the positive attitude, it will get you further than any drug. I will keep checking to see if you need me. A concerned visitor to Penn

6/11/2006 12:47 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Keep fighting!!
Our prayers are with you.

Tad

6/11/2006 9:51 PM  
Blogger Jessie said...

So mom, I just read that you aren't supposed to drink alcohol after the SCT - so we're going to have to start enjoying some virgin cosmos. Also read that we have got to keep you out of the sun post transplant - some patients were advised to avoid the sun forever. Most importantly, a man just wrote me who had a mini-transplant in 2001 and this year he ran the Boston marathon! Hope you're sleeping. All of the Khouris are asleep finally, going to join them now. <3

6/11/2006 10:09 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Deb, you never cease to amaze me.. you tell us the facts, put it in words that we can almost understand, and add humor to it in your blog! and not knowing even an inch as much as you do, i know which ever way you go, will be the right one for you.. and don't even think any of us on team teklits have ever stopped the prayers.. i will continue praying,hoping, wishing,and expecting for you ! We will all do what we can for you, prayers, shopping, cleaning, body piercings, what ever it takes!.. you've been down this road a few times already.. you can do it again..
can the mini transplant be done over and over again if needed?stay tough deb. we are all here for you!! lots of love,, mdf

6/11/2006 10:57 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

halleleujiah deb, you will be joe's perfect woman. no sun and a marathon runner! i am sure this is one of those nasty bumps like some you have had along the way and like the others, we will get over this one as well. love km

6/11/2006 11:49 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Debbie,

Kevin shared this communication with Donna and I. Needless to say, our prayers are with you and the family each day.

There is not a phone call that goes by that Kevin doesn't provide us an update.

There was a reason you lived across the street from the church in OC, NJ. God is your neighbor. Stay Strong!!

Your Friends,

Barry and Donna Smith

ps I have never used this communication method. I hope my note reaches you.

6/12/2006 10:19 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

i'm also thinking that we shouldn't let porter perform these dx tests, let the jeff guy handle everything of this nature, he has the results we want. km

6/12/2006 4:38 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Deb- I didn't like to hear that news- but I'm thinking this guy doesn't realize who he's dealing with!! Isn't he the same guy who told you it was his opinion you wouldn't go into remission! Go for it girl!! You have soooo many people pulling for you. You continue to amaze me, and I don't think thats going to change. Maybe you should head to Jeff and let that nice doctor hold your hand again. I like the results he gets better!! Take care, hope to see you soon. We all miss you!! Hi to Jessie and the entire clan.
Love, Holly

6/12/2006 8:26 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Deb, we're all devastated, of course... just to hear you speak those kinds of words. You've fought before and you'll fight again. If I could give you every stem cell in my own body, I would. They're so tough and cranky, you could kick 'em out in no time.
Thoughts and prayers with you...
I have my favorites up there... be strong... keep the faith, love, and hope.
Always,
LK

(Hope you got my letter... )

6/12/2006 9:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Tek.. any news? updates?? decisions? how are you feeling? still hanging strong i hope.. i'll check in later..mdf

6/13/2006 12:11 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ugh Debbie,
Normally I would be discouraged but you are not normal! Even after that terrible news, I am hopeful! Of course, I want to run over and give you a big hug, but I have to play yahtzee with the group on just a few minutes.
Am I right to assume that you will be home for awhile?
You sound like you have not lost your sense of humor. However you did make alot of references to alcohol consumption which I am all for these days.
I think of you and I have never stopped praying for you and your family.
BIG HUG,
Susan

6/13/2006 4:55 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Deb,

Sorry you have to go through all this, but just keep fighting. Your spirit and your courage are an inspiration. Our thoughts and prayers are with you constantly. I'm so glad they found donors for you. I hope you enjoy your time at the shore and your time with Jess and the family.

All our love,
Jeanne

6/13/2006 6:55 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home