Friday, April 28, 2006

Post Second Consolidation: Special Guest Posting

Dear Fod's,

Hey everybody! It is me. We are in the Family Room, the first time since Monday that I was able to walk that far, and the room is right across the hall! The fevers are starting to abate, the CAT scan of my chest showed --- at least 3 different things, depending on which Dr. you spoke to. One said pulmonary edema and gave me a diuretic; another thought it was fungal and gave me an antibiotic; the last one said, let's wait and see. So I am covered.

I am a little short of breath and still nauseated, but today may be the day we turn the corner. My WBC is 6, which is normal and I should be able to fight whatever is going on in my lungs. Dr. Porter came to my room and we had a nice talk. He said "that I don't take the easy chemo path, that I catch everything that there is to catch." I said, "then stop giving me the chemo!" Then he said, " the best way to insure remission is to get 4 consolidations." He said it is difficult to see his patients get broken down further and further. We just have to push harder and dig a little deeper. This summer is going to be more of the same. Hopefully, next summer I will be dancing on the rooftops at the shore. Most days, I feel like I can do anything when all of you are behind me.

KM -- your comments about the fiddle dee and dog meat on a stick made me lol. Aunt Angie your comments about the "crap" are still making me laugh. I love the blogs and being abe to be in your households to hear about your days. Especially, when I can't get myself out of the bed that day. It is good to know that there is life outside of HUP and that you are all thinking about me while you are making your dinner. I am so touched by your cards and well wishes. I cannot thank you enough. But, now I have to take a nap.

Deb sends her love to all.

P.S.: The lap Nazi is back and I walked more today than I did in the last week. Also the food Nazi fed me 1/2 a Mac and Cheese.

7 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Glad you are feeling somewhat better at least your spirits are still up. I do think of you every day and check the blog daily. Keep the faith - you'll make it through these rough days. Prayers and thoughts are with you. Love Shelly Geib

4/28/2006 4:57 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Deb:

It is so funny when the author changes on the blog. The voice I hear changes too! If my math is right...2 more consolidations. But we will take the remission along with that. Wish we could carry some of the burden for you.

Today we opened our pool and of course the weather is changing for the worse. It's now overcast and thunderstorms are in the forecast through Monday....I neglected to mention that Bee and a buddy (David) got in the pool at 61 degrees. Brrrr!

Moving all my piles around in the house as we expect 70 on Sunday for what looks like an indoor picture party to share our pictures from the Honduras medical mission trip of last month. Just in case any of your medical friends are interested...they can find us on the web at www.overseasmission.org.

I am hopeful that the high of 71 will hold true and that the 70% chance of precip. changes.

Did you dictate the blog to Jessie or is she visiting or am I just reading into the fact that she posted the blog?

Aunt Angie was giggling at the Spring Concert last night when she asked me if I had read her blog. I was like yea...what was with all the crap!

Gotta work on dishes, dinner and of course never ending laundry. Calgon take me away....

Love you to pieces, glad to hear you are thumbing your nose at round 2 of consolidation. Can't get a good girl down.

COD Eileen

4/28/2006 5:15 PM  
Blogger Kris McLay said...

Praise the Lord and pass the dancing shoes!

What a blessed relief to see you posting sweetie! Then to go on and read the encouraging news that you are FINALLY feeling better and talking about laps, dancing and food!

Now if we can just combine the laps and the dancing we'll really know that you are coming around... They don't have a pole in that family lounge do they?

Prayers continue from here, honey. Just a quick post today. Have a showing today and two tomorrow so I'm running around and tidying up like a mickey fink. Also have to finish spraying the Roundup on the belgian block in the driveway - with a sprayer that is a pos. It's like using an eye dropper to put the stuff on so I better get busy.

Sending you ALL my love (and working on my dance moves)- K

4/29/2006 8:31 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks for the update and bit of positive news. Let's hope you are turning the corner and that you start feeling yourself again. I hope you are able to go home soon!

Lisa

4/29/2006 9:02 AM  
Blogger Jessie said...

Just had to comment Janet - Emma is right behind Sawyer with weight - she has her 2 month checkup this week so I'll keep you posted. I had to bring her in for pink eye and they weighed her, at 7 weeks she's 11 lbs 5 oz. I nearly fell over! That's a 3 lb gain in 5 weeks! She's having the opposite problem with her 'lower regions' and continues to defy gravity with the elements of her diapers. Glad to hear you and your family are doing well!

4/29/2006 1:32 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dear Deb and Joe;
God Bless You with the ups and downs. I'll take the latest.
For the last 4 years Eileen drug me to the spring sing she calls a concert. It was so bad I tried to have fun.These are 4th to 8th grade kids.They didn'twant to be there anymore than the man in the moon.
That what she calls getting me out of the house.
Lotsa O Love and BIG HUGS
Your enduring Aunt Angie

4/29/2006 1:47 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Debbie & Joe,
We're disapointed to read that you are still at HUP, & hope that the fevers continue to abate. Reading your comment of the 3 physicians assesment's of the chest CAT scan made us smile; " they certainly covered all of the bases". The most pleasant sentence of all was reading Dr "Bad News" assessment of "insuring your remission", but 4 consolidations is a minimum of "one too many". We certainly are rooting for you to get well, & dancing on the rooftops at the shore does sound like a great way to celebrate! We continue to pray for a full recovery soon. Love, Mom & Dad

4/29/2006 6:22 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home