Sunday, November 19, 2006

Just When I Thought It Was Safe To Come Out Again

Dear Fods,

I went down to HUP on Friday for a standard check up with Dr. Porter. My sister Pammie took me down and she did a good job. I told Dr. Porter that I had been feeling a little lousy and was having very low grade fevers on and off. As a precaution, he ordered some blood work and we were home for a lunch at Bertucci's.

Saturday afternoon HUP called and told me that I had an infection in my blood. All four tubes came back positive so there was no doubt about it. They told me to come down and get admitted. On a Saturday afternoon -- admitted through the ER! Lucky for me, we got there around 4:00 and they had an ER room ready for me. Joe and Mike came down and we watched the second half of the Ohio State / Michigan game in the ER. They quickly hung a bag of antibiotics and that was running in during the ball game. We finally arrived on Rhoads 7 at around 9:30 PM. Some of my friends were on the floor and everyone helped me to get settled in for what we hope is a very short stay.

They think that my central line finally got infected. If so, we went for almost a year without any difficulties with the line. They are treating me with antibiotics and I hope to be discharged some time tomorrow. Joe had just arrived at around 11:00 and a Dr. Graf from IR knocked on the door. He started asking me some questions about my course of treatment, which I took to mean prep. work for a procedure tomorrow to remove the central line. When he announces, "We will be doing the procedure at bed side in 15 minutes!! YIKKKKEEEES!! I said, "will it hurt?" He said, "of course it will hurt -- we don't do anything that doesn't hurt." Just I needed, an honest Doctor!

As Joe writes this for me, it is the first time in a year that I don't have 1/2 pound of plastic on my chest and a tube into my jugular vein. Actually, the procedure did not hurt much -- just pressure as he was cutting the "cuff" of tissue that formed around the bottom of the catheter. In about 15 minutes, he was done. I was glad Joe was here to hold my hand for this latest procedure.

So the drugs are working and I am falling asleep now. They need to run another bag of antibiotics and keep an eye on the catheter site. Hopefully, one more night here and I can go home again.

That is all for now.

All my love.

Debbie

13 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

well, im glad they jumped on it right away... hope the antibiotics kick in as fast....not too much going on here..mark is in a baseball tournament in sacramento, and patrick,, well, patrick is suppose to be finishing his essay, but is asleep at the moment..
Patrick and i went to a college application type workshop at his school last week, and on the way there, he asked me out of the blue" wait, now it goes, summer , then fall, then winter , right?" my mouth actually dropped! I said, Patrick, that is what we are teaching our sp. ed kindergardners...and his reply was "well,see then, it's been a long time !" made me a little nervous thinking what we would be doing in tne next hours...
Other than that, things are going better,, my eyes have faded quite a bit..but i still get sympathy looks from women everywhere i go..
Deb, hope you get out of there fast! My prayers will continue...mdf

11/19/2006 1:53 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Mrs Teklits,

So sorry about this bump-- hopefully you will be home again soon!!! And I hope Jess & the babies are able to come down so you can have some time with them!! I Know that is what you need! I will talk to you soon,

Love Always
Allison

11/19/2006 3:55 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi,
You'll be fine. The antibiotics will kick in and you'll be home in time to stuff the turkey!Try to keep a positive attitude!

Betty

11/19/2006 6:58 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks as usual for the update, we appreciate hearing about the latest! Sounds like an okay visit- despite the surprising news. . . and good for the honest doctors! Nobody likes it when they say 'you'll feel some pressure' - just come right out and say- this is going to HURT!

Anyways, glad to hear you dont have all that pplastic stuff strapped allover you!
All our love,
Sarah and the Booth Family

11/19/2006 7:10 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Debbie dear...it has been a looong time since I wrote here, but believe me, you are never far from my thoughts, and always in my prayers. I met Joe and Michael the day that they were up at GVH. Joe looked right at home at the hospital 'work' table!
Am so sorry to read of your latest glitch, but have full faith that you will be home and giving thanks very soon. It will be the best medicine for you if the whole family can be together this week.
With Thanksgiving for your friendship and example...and with much love. Suzanne

11/19/2006 7:10 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Debbie:

Thrilled to hear your voice again. Almost one whole year since you had it "installed". Obviously you have taken good care to keep it clean this long. So glad to know that you will be home for Turkey Day.

One whole year...I can see myself in my driveway as you were so innocently calling to ask about Aunt Angie and then dropped the bomb about your own health. Can it really be a year? I bet you cannot even believe what you have been through.

Continue to rest and stay on course. Love you to pieces.

COD Eileen

11/19/2006 9:46 PM  
Blogger Kris McLay said...

Oh dear Chizzie-
I know it must have been hard for you to go back into HUP but thanking God that you did. Glad that some of your friends were there to greet you - also glad that Joe was there to hold your hand.

Keeping my fingers crossed that you will be back home today with that infection under control.

Love you honey - K

11/20/2006 7:49 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Deb & Joe -

Sorry to hear you had to go back down. Should be a short stay, tho'. Ya' know, it's hard to type with a 63 lb. puppy in your lap - not all of him, just the upper half. Anyway, prayers continue. Hope you're home real soon and enjoying thanksgiving with your wonderful family and friends.

Love Mussie

11/20/2006 8:50 AM  
Blogger annapolisirish said...

Dear Debbie,
I just stopped by to say hello,
Haven't much time before I go...
work to do, an office to paint,
lunch to eat before I faint...

Just wanted you to know,
that still I sing to my lighter glow...
For this little light of mine,
is continuing to shine...

Here's to being home for Turkey Day...

lots of love, visitor alison

11/20/2006 1:19 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Debbie,

good hear from you again.
sorry for any pain you are feeling.

Sean is almost 5 months now and he can roll himself just form today.

I hope you all have a great thanksgiving.

Jen, Andy and Sean

11/20/2006 5:12 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Debbie! Just when I thought you were in the kitchen prepping your turkey - and you are back in the hospital!!! Hope it is a very short stay and you feel better to enjoy the holiday. We are enjoying Jen home this week. Always sending prayers and love, Trudy

11/20/2006 5:29 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dear Deb,Joe and family;
WOE IS ME! What a bummer, boy do I feel for you.But you know it seems they are right there doing the right thing, and I hope you will be home for Thanksgiving.
Debbie get your rest, and MANGIA
lots of turkey.
As Always I'm sending you all my love.
BIG HUGS
Your Aunt Angie
P.S Love you too Pammy

11/20/2006 7:43 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Those "low grade fevers",HAD to be something....thank God you went for a check...He is watching over you, and don't you forget it!!!:) I love you and am glad you are O.K. ..sure you will be home for "T" day...prayers and love :)Bev

11/22/2006 10:33 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home