Wednesday, June 21, 2006

Another interesting day at Penn

Hello Everyone, Again i cannot begin without thanking you all for all the cards and blog and well wishes. I know that i have been hard to reach by phone. Jess and the kids came for the weekend and actually stayed till this am. Poor thing took 5 hrs. to get back to D.C. because she had to stop and feed Emma and then Mr. Christian wanted out of the car, and then of course would not get back in the car to continue home. Yikes ! can you imagine that trip with a 3mo. old and a 2yr. old.I was thrilled to have them here as they make me laughand are full of hugs and kisses. But also a little tiring.
So we met with Dr. Porter today. My blood counts are very slowly recovering(although my white count is still low) so we discussed the bone marrow transplant(mini vs. conventional)and basically there is a one in three chance i will die from the chemo with the conventional trans. vs. a one in ten chance of dying with the mini. But the conventionalhas a 50% cure rate if you survive the chemo where as the mini has a greater chance of relapse and death from the Leukemia. Very sobering numbers but better then back in Feb. when i was going to Jeff. So i think i will stick with the mini and hope for permanent remission or that new drugs will be out if i relapse.I've bee sob with exertion and have a slight cough, so Dr. Porter wanted a cat scan of my chest today. We scheduled it for 12:30 (a 2 hr. wait). the nurse gave me the script and said "you have a 2hr. wait , why not go get some lunch?" Well as you know, you don't have to tell me twice to eat so we high tailed it over to the nearest pizzaria and i had a nice slice of pepperoni pizza and a soda(diet of course). Then we got bagels for the nurses on 6 Rhoades and visited with them and went to the cat scan dept. I signed in and they called my name and said "you have been fasting for 4 hrs. right? Well i tried to liebut couldn't sssoooo the couldn't do the scan cause i ate(even though the nurse told me to). So i resceduled for next week. Then we drove home (pretty annoyed after wandering the streets to kill 2 hrs.). Got home around 1:30 and had a 3:00pm appt. with my new family Dr. As our dear friend Bob is also quite ill. Dr. Kuhar is just lovely(after waiting another hour) but didn't like my breathing and did an EKG which is normal and checked my O2 level which is normal. So i am having a Cat scan tomorrow at 1:00pm. I got home at 6:05pm. What a day!!!!And i miss the babies. Its organized chaos when they are here but Jess brings a certain peace to the house and definitely maturity.So please crank up the prayers. I know the donor is a woman and is 36 yrs. old. What a selfless thing to do! I wonder if she has small children? or works full time and needs to use vacation time for the harvesting. Well i am very grateful to her for agreeing to do this.I ha dsome friends over tonite as our Bev turned 60! The girls brought dinner and Joe did all the work as iwas at the Dr. He did a great job and made many great cosmos. It was soooo good to see everyone. i really miss my social life and friends. I think the cosmo celebration is on hold as Dr. Porter hopes to get to transplant within 3 weeks and i have lots and lots of appt. before then. But boy oh boy will we have lots to celebrate after that. So thank you again for everything and especilly the prayers. Janet i hope you are feeling better. Miss Bonnie i pray for you many times a day. Mo and Bobkeep up the good work. MDF kepus laughing and Meredith i will call tomorrow and i really hope to see you while you are in town for whatever time you have free. Miss Suzanne we are all thinking of you and hope you are resting at the beach. And to everyone elsethank you and sleep tight.
love you all
Debbie

16 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Debbie....I can not wait... I am so excited.. we definetly sohuld meet up!...I LOVE YOU! Mere

6/21/2006 11:54 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh my what a day you have had! I just checked one last time before hitting the sack...or should I say taking a nap as Mere has a 6:15 flight to NYC which means up at 3 am.....if you call her she is at 636-699-7652. Otherwise you can give me a call and I will be glad to talk to you as always.

Mere is so excited about her trip. She hopes that your rendevous happens as she needs to give you a hug.

I better hit the hay....hang in there....

As far as the mini vs the maxi...you are the who has to make that call. You know how you are reacting to the existing treatments and how much you can take.

A 36 y/o female donor...yippee...!

Take care and we will talk soon.

Love Ya COD Eileen

6/21/2006 11:57 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Deb,

Sorry you had such a rough day. I'll bet you were ready to choke that nurse who told you to go get some lunch! Just hang in there and stay strong. Our thoughts and prayers are with you constantly!

Love,
Jeanne

6/22/2006 7:03 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Deb,
Long time, no message from me. Although, I can catch up on you with your blog or Bob's, which is very convenient. Continuing the prayers from my end. Thought of you and Bob (and families), while we were away. I will tell you about that and maybe bring a few pics if I get my little self (not quite as little after all those buffets) to Lansdale. I am going to call Mo and see if we can't work something out...if only for a few minutes.
It sounds as if you have made your decision about the mini...first step-check. Step by step, you WILL get through this.
After yesterday, hope you take a nap today.
Love you, Kim

6/22/2006 8:11 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Debbie: Was getting worried when I didn't see anything on the blog since the 13th. My prayers are definitely being stepped up and my thoughts are with you every day. I can't believe your spirit - you are fantastic. You will definiteloy beat this with that spirit. Love Shelly Geib

6/22/2006 9:43 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey you guyz!!!! :)
Well I just can't sit on the sidelines anymore. I know it has been a long time since I chimed in. First of all Deb you are a Rock. Thank God you have had a mix of good times to go along with the bad times. I must have lost track of the story-line somewhere. I am under the impression that there are no leukemia cells to be found in your blood? Why have an operation at all? Update please!
Now for the odds game. I guess if you were in Vegas, a 1 in 3 chance would be great odds. However I agree with you a 1 in 10 chance of surviving is much better than a 1 in 3, and a 50%/50% chance is nothing to sneeze at either. However anyway you look at it kiddo, I wish you didn't have to make this kind of choice at all. I had another thought. I think it would be great to actually meet someone living who beat the odds and survived. You know, put a real face on the statistic. Just a thought. :) Cathy, the kids, and I love you so much, and continue to pray for you and your wonderful family. You can count on us for the remainder of the challenge. Stay strong, God Bless and stay in touch. Your messages sustain our Hope! Love Artie

6/22/2006 1:55 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Debbie:

Mere got off without a hitch this morning and arrived on-time. The bad news is that the other half of the delegation flew out of Kansas City and got delayed in Chicago due to storms. Mere and the St. Louis contingency is still at the airport waiting on the rest. Looks like it will be a long day for her. Tonight they hit Broadway so hopefully the excitement will make them forget about the waiting.

Welcome to the world of travel delays.

Hope today is going more smoothly than yesterday.

Love to all...COD Eileen

6/22/2006 2:09 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Mrs Teklits!!

I am soo sorry yesterday went not so smoothly to say the least!!!! I am sure you are missing your babies soo much, I had a wonderful weekend with you all - They are the cutest ever!!! Hope you and the girls had fun last night *tell Bev I said Happy Birthday!!! from her fellow New Yorker!!!*
I am thinking about you & praying for you always!!
See you soon -
Love Always
Allison

6/22/2006 3:08 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

HI DEB;
Thinking about you and praying
to my regular Guy. St. Jude.
You are a very strong person
keep it up.
When you tire lay down and rest
You earned it.
Love you dearly
BIG HUGS
Your Aunt Angie

6/22/2006 6:07 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Deb, aunt angie is right.. listen to her. the house can survive without those darn lines from the vacume! So sorry you have to make these awful type decisions again.. did you talk it over with that dr. from jefferson also? wonder what he would suggest.. know you'll do whats right for you , and know that we are all behind you! Stay strong..mdf...

6/22/2006 6:35 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Deb:
I think I finally figured this thing out. Your choice sounds like a good plan to me. Just remember as "Churchill" said "when you are going through hell, keep on going." Cathy is working the beads for you, she good at it, at least there is hope for one of us. Keep on going will read and write.
M2MD

6/23/2006 7:12 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm happy to hear about your visit with Jess and the little ones. I agree about the woman who is donating her stem cells. It's awesome to know that there are people like that in the world. She is definitely helping out a wonderful person and we are all grateful! Hang in there and stay strong!

Lisa

6/23/2006 3:04 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

hey debbie,
that news is sobering. we missed you at the party on saturday, but i am on my way to conquering my entertainment anxiety. we're actually going to do it again - yocco doggie packs and beer. we'll see where you are and hopefully you could come out and play.
it sounds like you've had a hectic week. I think about you all the time. I try to read the blog, but i cannot absorb everything. i just look for the good parts - about the family and stuff like that.
Is there anything I can do? Please let me know when you go into the hospital and I'll visit. I kinda like having you all to myself on those late night visits.
If you ever need an ear to listen you know I'd drop everything to do just that.
BIG HUG
Susan

6/23/2006 4:25 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Deb any news with the cat scan? I know what susan means.. i sometimes have to read then reread it again.. then ,like her decide on picking out the things i understand.. but i understand it better now also...
tim has returned from omaha.. mark is there until sunday night, patrick leaves sunday morning.. i miss my kids already!!It's been in the 100's here the last few days.. cranking up the a/c.. not much else you can do , except eat.. been doing that too..
well, not sure when all this starts with you.. but the sooner its done and your feeling better the better it will be..keep up that good spirit..love, mdf

6/23/2006 11:13 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Debbie & Joe,
Your visits to the UofP are never dull to say the least, but perhaps once they can schedule a visit & carry it out on time. It's dificult to comprehend the efficiency of a hospital where one hand of the hospital recommends going out for lunch & the other hand chides you for eating prior to a scan. If this a great hospital, God help us all!! The result from speaking with "Dr Bad News" is to be anticipated by now - his odds are awful, & no words of any hope associated with the odds. I've expressed my comments about the good Dr to our Bob but I don't think they are to be posted on the blog. Having had pleasure of Shane staying with us for a precious few days makes it easy for us to share your joy of being with Christian & Emma. They are all a delight to behold & they don't sit still for very long. Love, Mom & Dad

6/24/2006 8:01 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

oops Visitor to Rhoades 6 here.. I posted a long blog for you Debbie under the previous post.. Please check it out.. Hope you are feeling good today, will keep visiting, praying and sending positive vibes your way...
lots of love, Visitor to Rhoades 6

7/19/2006 10:48 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home