Saturday, December 17, 2005

Day 13

I did a double take on the day today "13" -- but it was a good day for Deb. Although her rash continues unabated ( which is consistent with no WBC) Deb's spirits were high today and she was glad to see both of her boys. The four of us watched Jess, Walid and Mr. C on the video so we could all be together, along with Emma! We even got to see Mr. C's kitchen scene today, which took us 4 hours and 5 tries, but it was worth it! (Calm down nurses -- this is Mr. C sitting inside of the kitchen cabinets flipping tuperware lids -- not the Postman scenes -- you buggars!)

Mike was with Deb for the first time since she was admitted and he handled it very well. He examined the rash -- which still makes me take a knee -- clinically and understood what was going on. He did much better than we had expected and that was a relief to both of us. It was an indication of his maturity. Well done Mike!

We delivered tons of gifts today, battery operated candles, greens, books, lotions, potions, (but no poltus) oatmeal bars, baths, creams, PJ's etc. Good thing we had three able bodied men to haul all of the loot up to Deb. She was excited for it all and was happy to receive the gifts. Deb sends her thanks to all.

Both of the boys took turns with Deb doing her laps and we tucked her into her bed (with the nice comforter) when it was time for us to leave. Deb still gets tired quickly, and if you could see her counts, it is no wonder. Although everything is now starting to rise, which is expected, Deb is still way below anything approaching normal human contact. For example, where her glasses touch her skin behind her ears, there are bruises. Where her catherter lays against her skin, there are bruises. She bumped her head against her IV pole, and she has a welt. This is all just very sad -- but her spirit is indominable and she makes us glad to be by her.

Before we left, I put some of the steroidal potion on her rash and it is still very hot to the touch and heavier than yesterday. There are quite a few pounds of fluid in that rash and hopefully it will not turn into cellulitis. But for the rash, Deb is doing excellently. The nurses and staff have been great to her and we are getting friendly with many of them.

We thank everyone who has respected our request for privacy during this difficult time and hope and pray that Deb will have another good day tomorrow. The big biopsy is on Monday and that will tell us much about what will be in store for us in the short term. Hopefully, we can have some visitors next week as her counts continue to improve.

Deb sends her love to all.

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Mrs. Teklits,
Well, I've got one long day of studying behind me and one more in front. The big "WAHOO!!" goes to you! I'm glad you've had a good two days in a row! :-)
A drunken man staggered into a Catholic church, sat down in the Confessional and said nothing. The priest is waiting and waiting and waiting. The priest coughs to attract the drunk man's attention, but still the man says nothing. The priest then knocks on the wall three times in a final attempt to get the man to speak. Finally the drunk replies, "No use knockin,' pal. There's no paper."
Keep laughing and keep up the up-and-up!!
Love, Sarah Schneider

12/17/2005 10:59 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Debbie,
I'm glad to hear things are progressing pretty much as planned. Sorry about the itching. I know partially what you're going through on that score. My psoriasis is acting up presently and my arms and knees are a mess. Jimmy keeps yelling at me to stop scratching.
It's fun reading the postings from the NPH alumni. Things surely have changed. I miss sitting in the mornings and listening to all you guys talking and telling your various stories. I used to stay late on purpose just for that.
I must say you and Jimmy have much in common about the use of Chlorox and vacuuming the carpets. Our grandson, who's 18 mos. old, vacuums alongside with Jimmy using his own little 'Dirt Devil'. I've made Jared into a fanatic concerning 'cleanlines is next to Godliness' and 'neatness counts'. His new found family buys him Chlorox cleaning cloths and Fabreze as gifts for his birthday, etc. His Best Man at the wedding presentation even made mention of his meticulousness.
It's good to see that Mary Day has maintained her sense of humor. I can hardly believe she's the mother of 2 teenagers. I think of her often, especially when I'm reading. I remember her father and my mother had very similar views on various authors.
Well I guess I've rambled long enough. I just want you to know Jimmy and I are always here if we can do something for you at any time. That is meant from the heart. God is watching over you.
"For the Lord comforts his people and will have compassion on his afflicted ones." Isaiah 49:13
Love, RJ and Family

12/18/2005 3:44 AM  
Blogger Kris McLay said...

Chizzie-
Hello darling.

I am so glad Day 13 turned out to be a good one for you. Do you feel like Moses, like you are doing forty days and forty nights in the desert? Or could it be 80 days in the hole? Isn't there a rock song to that effect? (calling all rockers! Joe you should know this one.)

So glad to hear that Mikey's home and that you had a day with the boys yesterday. Including video star, Christian. (note to Jess - do you think Christian was trying to type mom-mom when the keyboard went on the fritz the other day?)

Been busy with the family here, Chiz. I have a half finished letter I've been trying to put in the can to get out to you since Gallup NM. Alas, duty calls. Hope to finish it and get it to you today. I miss our daily words together!

Eileen (and fellow FOD's)- I'm in Scottsdale now - my nephew just graduated from ASU and so we are having a family get together to celebrate. From here we go to Santa Fe for some r&r. We have property there and are trying to build a house. I say trying because we just got a call from the architect and the builder telling us that building material costs have risen 20% post Katrina. Needless to say we will also be meeting with them this trip. From there, it's back to Ohio for New Year's with the Buckeye kin (Go Bucks!)

Chizzie - I hope Day 14 rocks for you and I mean that in a good way.

Keeping fingers, eyes and legs crossed for a good biopsy on Monday.

Keep your pecker up!

I love you guys - Kris

12/18/2005 10:44 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Teklits Clan,
Merry Christmas from The Chadwick Clan. :) Glad to hear you are all together or in touch for the Holidays. I bet that it's just what the doctors ordered for you Deb! Well it sure sounds like your moving the ball, and making a few first downs. Good job Deb! Keep it up.( or as my kids tell me, "Suck it up Dad and get on with it" What did I create?) Cathy and I went down to the Wachovia Center last night to experience TSO (Trans Siberian Orchestra) We have been going each season for years and it really jump starts Christmas for me.I thought of you the whole night and prayed as they sang about Hope and Peace and the Little Child born for us. Let your children remind you how it used to be Deb, and God will see your dreams and be glad. We love you and are with you. The Good News is just around the corner. Luck tomorrow. Keep us updated Love, Artie

12/18/2005 12:35 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Deb & Joe,

Hope that day 14 is as good as day 13. Ed & Gerri Ifkovits send their regards from SC,& asked us to pass on that thay are praying for you. They haven't able able to get on the blog due to their being away, & for the last 5 days they've been w/o power.(They are among the 500,000 or so homes w/o power since last week's ice storm down south.)We need to contact the Novogratz's as well hearing that Big Ed contacted E Coli while in VA. We chatted with Joe this AM & found out that "he's cooking up a storm" at home so you all can "pass" on the hospital food. We are thinking of & praying for you, & have our fingers crossed for tomorrow's test.
Mom and Dad

12/18/2005 3:46 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home