Tuesday, November 24, 2009


It has been a long time since our last blog post. Mom continues to receive chemotherapy each month and requires transfusions of platelet twice a week and blood biweekly. I have some tragic news that is awful to share through a blog but it is impossible to reach all of you on the phone.

We are devastated to share that we unexpectedly lost my brother Joey at home on November 19th. You have surrounded us with your love and support these last four years. We are asking again that you keep our family in your prayers.

Below are the words of remembrance read during the private service yesterday:

I wanted to try and open with a joke today but then I remembered that Joey was the funny one in our family. Mike and I are still working on our delivery. So instead I’m going to read a verse from Joey’s favorite song:

I can only imagine -What my eyes will see - When your face -Is before me -I can only imagine

Will I stand in your presence - or to my knees will I fall - Will I sing hallelujah, will I be able to speak at all - I can only imagine

Ironically, this song was written by a young man who had lost his father. He knew that his father had moved on to a better place but he wanted to envision what his dad was seeing. We can only imagine and remember. It’s hard for me to think of Joey and not smile.

Joey and I were partners in crime during the first half of our lives. My earliest memories of childhood were running through the neighborhood with him by my side. Some nights I would sneak into his bedroom to play with our toys. Mom and Dad were unaware of our late night play dates until one night I listened to Joey when he told me to stick my bare foot against a lightbulb in his bedroom. I had 3rd degree burns on my foot and you would think I would have learned then, at five years old, not to listen to all of my little brother’s ideas.

There was the time he promised to teach me how to use the brakes of my roller blades. His method of instruction involved leading me to the top of Quarry Road and telling me, ‘Ok, see ya at the bottom!’ I mean, skating up the hill, what did I think was going to happen?

During our family vacation to Lake Placid he told Mike and I to ‘trust him’ while we let him lead us up to the very top of Iceface Mountain. It turned out he had brought us to a double black diamond course that was the 1980 Olympic downhill.

Joey liked a challenge. When someone dared him to perform a BMX stunt using a homemade ramp by the older neighbor kids, he did not disappoint us. But he did break his nose. He could not let the cross country crew down when they bet him he couldn’t fit in a locker. He didn’t think about getting locked in and no one having a key to get him out.

For as long as I could remember he and Mike would test each other in the weight room. The competition between the two brothers never would end. They were constantly flexing and comparing their muscle size and definition. Mom kept them motivated by telling them each separately that they were the one with the bigger biceps.

I don’t want you to think that Joey was just about thrills. He had a heart of gold and would lend his hard working hands to anyone in need. I remember him agreeing to help build a kitchen table for my first apartment. It was the Saturday after Thanksgiving in 2000. I believe those were the days of Joey’s Red Chevy pickup truck. No one can count how many trucks Joey had, but that red one was certainly the loudest. Anyway, we learned the hard way that the Saturday after Thanksgiving is a really tough day to be on 95. Our Joey, who used to swear he’d never leave Lansdale, followed me down in his red Chevy and probably called me 15 times on the way down that day. Instead of a three hour ride, it took us six. During the 15th phone call Joey said, “Sis, I’m definitely not leaving Lansdale again!”

Once we got in and unloaded the table, he worked tirelessly to assemble it. He finished at midnight and crashed on my couch and was gone by 9 the next day. That table moved with me to another apartment, a townhome, a house, and is now in another apartment. My niece and nephew sit at that table every day.

Joey did venture out of Lansdale to visit me a few times. I can’t forget when Mike was headed to the Baltimore Aquarium and Joey asked him to drop him off on his way. The train station where Joey told Mike to leave him at had not been operational for some time. He charmed his way across the city making friends along the way and made it to Alexandria five hours later. Then he swore to us that this time he really was never going to Lansdale again.

More recently Joey would spend hours playing with my kids at the Jersey shore. The kids were proud to have their Uncle Joey to hold them tight as the tide came in. He had the patience of Job to wait in line for the bumper cars on the boardwalk and then have Christian chicken out when it was their turn. I remember Joey trying to squeeze himself into the kiddie coaster that Emma insisted she wanted to go on. Emma was terrified once the ride got started, but found comfort in the arms of her Uncle Joey.

Joey loved his little girl, Isabelle Rose. He was so proud of everything little thing she did that he was able to witness. Shortly after she was born he made a video of himself reading Isabelle the story Guess How Much I Love You. He knew he couldn’t always be there.

Isabelle is still talking about her Da Da this week after visiting with him last Sunday. I think it’s all the candy he snuck her.

Joey had a gift that allowed him to bring levity to situations when the rest of us couldn’t bear to. He could make us laugh when we needed to most.

I can still hear him singing Sugarland while riding in my car at the beach this summer. I can remember the Joey we knew in high school playing Take it Easy over and over while grounded in his bedroom. I will never let go of the image of his wide grin or forget his strong hugs. I will always be proud and thankful for the short time I had him as my brother. I know we all have our own memories of Joey Teklits. Hold them close to you.

Thank you all for being here today. We feel your love and support and it is propping us up today so we appear to be standing during this tragic time. If you haven’t yet, please take some time to view the photographic tribute of Joey in the back of the church. We had a lot of fun going through those pictures. I have to tell you we were hard pressed to find that many photos of Joey with his shirt on.
It is impossible for us to understand why but I am filled with hope that Joey’s been given the strength he could not have here. Joey is finally free. Joey has found peace.

The obituary was printed in our local newspaper, The Reporter:

http://www.thereporteronline.com/articles/2009/11/23/obituaries/doc4b0af6bc6a5d8549253970.txt

33 Comments:

Blogger Pat said...

Dear Teklits’,

Tessa and I are shocked and saddened to hear of the loss of Joey. We can’t imagine the pain you all must be feeling. We have thought of you often since Debbie’s illness and Tessa has kept me up on the blog.

I remember the good times we had as young families together when you were here in South Bend on Leland Ave. and the cook outs you would host after you moved to the Scottsdale area on the Southside with those burgers imbedded with onions and BBQ sauce Joe would make. Ohhhh, they were so good, Joe!

The after being gone for many years you guys came for a visit and it was like you never left you were just as much fun to be with as you were all those years before. I will always think of Joey at the baseball game at The Cove and he was just having a great time and he hit it off so well with Shawn. It was really a fun day! Being apart for so long, I wish I had more memories of our time with Joey to share but I don’t... so that’s the one I will always cherish. We were all so happy! You have to take comfort in and focus on those good memories and forget any others.

We wish we could be there to hug you all and listen to the stories about Joey from your own lips...but know that we share your pain and are crying with you from afar. All our love! You and Joey are in our prayers and God Bless you and keep you in the palm of his hand.

Tessa & Pat McGann

11/24/2009 12:57 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Teklits Family,
We are here for whatever you need. We share your sorrow and tears. Be strong for each other.
Love,
Beth and Greg

11/24/2009 3:30 PM  
Blogger Patty Gianfelice said...

What a beautiful tribute to a golden hearted young man. Joey will be sadly missed by so many. His smile and his heart will never be forgotten.
You know I am here for all of you if you need anything, anything at all.
My prayers are for your comfort in these most trying times.
I love you guys!!
Patty

11/24/2009 6:04 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dear All...

Jessie...I have not idea how you got through that loving tribute. It made me feel like I was there if just for a moment!

You all know that we love and care for all of you and so wish we could be there in person.

Stay strong. All our love! COD Eileen and family

11/24/2009 7:07 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Joe and Deb Thinking about you both and Jess and Michael. Jess tribute to her brother is just beautiful. Take care and our prayers are with you Love Linda and Bill

11/24/2009 7:51 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Bev and I want to send our sincere condolences. Our son Matthew is about 3 yrs younger than Joey and we can’t image how you feel. We wish we could be there in person to help you in your grief. Jessie, please give your parents hugs from us. We are always thinking of you.
Mike Vernon & Bev Martin

11/25/2009 3:03 PM  
Anonymous beach betty said...

Hi,
I am both shocked and saddened to hear about Joey. I was just logging on to make sure I wished everyone a Happy Thanksgiving before the hustle and bustle of the holiday over took me. Although I didn't know him all that well I enjoyed talking to him at the shore and I have to add it is fitting that he had his shirt off in all the pictures. If you got it flaunt it! I'm devastated as I sit in front of the computer typing this. Debbie and I spent many an hour swapping stories
about our boys. I am so sorry for your loss. Words escape me now. Please know I'm thinking of you.
God Bless!

11/25/2009 3:44 PM  
Anonymous beach betty said...

Jess,
I forgot to add what a beautiful tribute to your brother.

11/25/2009 3:46 PM  
Anonymous Donna K. said...

Dear Debbie, Joe, Jessie, and Michael,

My heart is very heavy as I struggle to write in this time of extreme pain and sadness. My heart goes out to you all.
Thank you for posting the great picture of Joey and the kids. I was fortunate to witness what a great uncle he was playing with Christian and Emma on the beach. As "Beach Betty" stated, it was quite fitting for Joey to be captured without his shirt--I don't think there's a girl/woman who saw or knew him that didn't droul at the sight of him! His fantastic smile, his kindness and his instant likeability when you engaged in conversation were such a part of him. I and my family have so many fond memories of Joey--he will be missed so very much.
Jessie, thank you for such a moving and beautiful tribute to your brother. Love and prayers from all the Koffels and Waters,
Donna K.

11/25/2009 9:09 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

My dear friends, I don't know what to say. I am completely in shock and so very sorry. You have always given each other what you needed and were all the best parents and siblings. I loved talking to Joey when I called - he was just the kind of kind of kid I would have loved to have if I had a boy. He always knew what to say, was the most kind and polite young man. My heart aches for all of you and I continue to pray for you all always. I would give anything to be with you and hold all of you. Love to you all. Cheryl and Terry Crone

11/26/2009 7:14 AM  
Anonymous Kathy, Dan, Ryan, and Taylor said...

Words can't express how sad this news is. We love you, and our prayers for you remain strong.

11/26/2009 7:39 AM  
Blogger Patty Gianfelice said...

Teklits Family:

I know it must be a very difficult day, this Thanksgiving.... but it is also a reason to celebrate. A day to give thanks for our memories of good times and a day to celebrate our faith. I found this quote quite some time ago, with this tragedy it has come to mind:
"He who has faith has... an inward reservoir of courage, hope, confidence, calmness, and assuring trust that all will come out well - even though to the world it may appear to come out most badly."
I think of Jessie's words about Joey finding peace and strength and I have faith that it is true and for that I give thanks.
Debbie, Joe, Michael, Jessie... I give thanks for having your family in my life... you are family and much loved!!! You know I'm here for you and praying for your comfort.
Love Patty

11/26/2009 11:04 AM  
Anonymous Cindy Bodish Ebner said...

Dear Debbie, Joe, Jessie and Michael,
We are so saddened to hear about Joey. Please accept our deepest sympathies and our love to all of you.

Cindy, Keith, Aunt Shirley and the boys

11/26/2009 12:13 PM  
Anonymous Shelly Geib said...

Debbie and Joe - words can not express how sadden I was to hear the news about Joey. Please know that our thoughts are with you and your family. jessie's tribute at the service was beautiful. Our continued prayers for you and your family. Keep the faith Debbie - Love Shelly

11/27/2009 9:55 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

dear joe,debbie,jessie, and michael.....

we're so sorry...we are just so sorry.
we remember that day at the beach and the giggles and the love joey had for others...he had the gift of making people feel special.
we just need to hug each of you now.
KNOW you are in our thoughts and prayers and mostly we pray that when it hurts the most, you will feel God's arms surround you and fill you with memories that will help you giggle again.
grace,peace,love,hugs
tony and jill

11/27/2009 10:49 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Deb and family... i have been so saddened by Joey that i havent felt like i would have the right things to say.. Such a handsome guy with a smile from ear to ear!!I really only met him a couple of times, once when he was abour 4yo and he and i took a bike ride after an all night party at your house, and the other time when he was in his 20's and he was the entertainer then!!
You are all in my thoughts and prayers.. so much...love.. mdf

11/28/2009 11:53 AM  
Anonymous Donna from Ocean City said...

Dear Debbie,Joe,Jessie and Michael,
I can not put into words the extreme sadness I feel at this time for you and the family. The tribute to Joey was so beautiful.
I will never forget that amazing smile of his. I can remember all the times we ran into each other coming to or from the beach and Joey always stopped to chat with me and always went out of his way to talk and make Mackenzie smile.
I remember when he stopped over the house at the beach to drop off
some of Debbies's awesome cookies...and I had a nice conversation with for a little while. Now I feel so blessed that I had that special time with him.
I will never forget that when he was going down the steps I said I will have to get the recipe to the yummy cookies and he said good luck mom will never tell that secret....and he laughed! He also amazed me to take the time to thank me for sending Debbie cards...how thoughtful he was to do that. He loved you so much Debbie you could see his eyes light up when he talked about you.
How much of a fighter you are. He truly loved his whole family. What an uncle he was....I would see him with Emma and Christian on their bikes and Uncle Joey going around and around the block with them.
Please know that he is safe in the arms of God at peace.
Please know that mom,dad,Chuck,Wyatt, Mackenzie and my sister Lisa and her family are all praying for you and your family that God will help you thru this very difficult time in your life.
Please know Debbie and Joe I am here for you for anything that you need. I am sending my love and a big hug to all of you. I love you and can not tell you how it breaks my heart that you and your family must have to go thru this.
I Love you,
Chuck,Donna,Wyatt,Mackenzie,Mom,
Dad,Lisa,George,Angela,Chris,Bryan,and Dylan

11/28/2009 12:58 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dear Debbie and family,
I have no words, just complete and utter shock and sadness. Know that I am thinking of you all. Jesse beautiful tribute. He became an angel within days of my young cousin Chris who passed from bone cancer. Perhaps they are sking the diamond backs in the sky together tonight. Hope you can feel the virtual hug I'm sending. Lots of love, Visitor Alison

11/28/2009 8:30 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

hey joe,debbie,jess, and mike.....

wanted to share a quote that was hanging in ICU at rhode island hospital where tony's mom was when she went to be with Jesus.
"sometimes God calms the storm-sometimes He lets the storm rage and calms His child"
joey can feel His calm as he couldn't feel it here...we pray you can feel His calm today.
grace,peace,love,hugs
tony & jill

11/28/2009 10:36 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dear Debbie,Joe,Jessie,&Mike,

There are no words one can say at a time like this. Joey always had a special place in my heart. Though we were not apart of his teen years and beyond, I will always remember his smile and good nature. He was always a pleasure to have at our house. The strength and courage of your family is amazing, God is truly with you and I know Joey is now with him. Our prayers continue to be with you and for you.
Jessie did such a wonderful tribute to her brother, she has your grace and strength Debbie.
God Bless and keep you all,
Pam Kuntz

11/29/2009 5:46 PM  
Blogger Patty Gianfelice said...

Debbie and Joe, just want you to know that I love you guys.

11/30/2009 6:05 PM  
Blogger Jan Russell said...

My heart aches for your family. Just wanted to add my love and prayers - I pray for you often, for peace and comfort and strength.

11/30/2009 9:23 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Debbie & family,
I am so incredibly shocked & saddened to hear of your loss. I wish there was something I could do or say to help to ease your pain. Please know that my thoughts & prayers are with you during this incredibly difficult time.
With Love,
Bridget Fonash

11/30/2009 10:56 PM  
Anonymous beach betty said...

just thinking about you guys. Hang in there. I know how sad this is for me and I couldn't even imagine how terrible it is for all of you.Although I haven't seen you guys in quite a while rarely a day goes by that you don't cross my mind.

12/01/2009 10:30 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dear Joe, Debbie & family,

As others have written, simple words cannot begin to express the sorrow felt for all of you during this time of overwhelming sadness.

It’s difficult to get our minds around the shock of Joey being gone and cannot imagine the pain and devastating sense of loss you are enduring. We hope, with each passing day, your grief becomes lighter and your minds and hearts are filled with only beautiful memories.

Joey, what a great “kid” with his super sense of humor, his wide smile, his kind heart, his amazing muscles…we will always remember him with fondness.

Please know we share your grieve and hold all of you in our thoughts, hearts and prayers.

Linda and Tim Radel

12/02/2009 1:29 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have absolutely no idea what to say...I have this sick empty feeling in my stomach for you...I pray for all of you to heal..Brenda

12/04/2009 6:01 PM  
Blogger Patty Gianfelice said...

Joe & Debbie, just wanted to check in and let you know I was thinking of you.
Lots of love, Patty

12/06/2009 6:08 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi,

Just thinking about you.
Love,
Betty

12/09/2009 11:13 AM  
Anonymous beach betty said...

Hi,
Just thinking about you guys!

12/09/2009 11:14 AM  
Anonymous Donna said...

Dear Debbie and Joe,

Just wanted to let you know that you are never far from my thoughts. I think of you all the time and want you to know that you and the family are in our prayers.
Sending you a great big hug.....
Our love,
Chuck,Donna, Wyatt and Mackenzie

12/19/2009 2:18 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

hey......
did the oc haircut/check the house/remove the last of the ice cream and turn off the freezer on friday. joe, we must introduce you to the haircut a month in oc-we know you go to be quiet but if that excuse runs out - call and we'll give you the # .
these holidays that come whether we want them to or not are coming...how can life move on when it has stopped????
for christian and emma is how and we pray you can do it for them.
grace,peace,love,hugs
tony & jill

12/20/2009 8:27 PM  
Anonymous Shelly Geib said...

Know the holidays will be hard for all of you - but I do want to wish you a joyous Christmas. Know that God is with all of you at this time and always - and you now have a special angel on the top of that tree. Merry Christmas. Love Shelly

12/22/2009 4:13 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dear Joe, Debbie, Mike, and Jessica,

This Christmas may not seem like a Christmas, but you must know how your family has effected the lives of so many others. Through your ordeals we all have learned to appreciate more what we have this Christmas. You have lost much, but you still have much. You have each other, and our love and prayers. More importantly, NO MATTER WHAT YOU ARE FEELING OR THINKING, you have the love of a God who knows and cares when a sparrow falls from a branch. He has counted the hairs on your head! He is so powerful, He does not need to confirm a joyous response to every concern that we have. Even though we don't see it yet, He has alraedy caught Debbie, Joey, and the rest of us who believe in Him in His loving arms. He does not miss a catch, and He does not under promise...He always over delivers! Your family is still intact, in His care. We are all individually His creation (HE knew us in the womb), and He loved us all even before we were a human family on earth. Though you may not see it today, you all will all rejoice together again for eternity. We plan to see you all there with our loved ones.

God has promised that death with Jesus as your savior is not death as the end. But it does pass you from the current worldly existence to life eternal with Him, including a new physical and disease free body (like Christ had after the resurrection) and the ability to live in His presence both in the heavens and a renewed physical planet earth (world without end).

With the confidence not of our own but placed by the Holy Spirit, Merry Christmas everyone! Jesus, as God on earth, is our creator, savoir, and Lord.

Peace and Love, Bob & Kay

12/22/2009 5:59 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home